You are reading

Widow of “Duck Sauce Killer” Indicted for Having a Cache of Illegal Weapons at Her Home: DA

Glenn Hirsch (L) and Dorothy Hirsch (R) (Photos NYPD mugshots)

Glenn Hirsch (L) and Dorothy Hirsch (R) (Photos NYPD mugshots)

Sept. 6, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The widow of the alleged “duck sauce killer” – the man accused of fatally shooting a delivery worker in Forest Hills in April – was indicted Friday for having a cache of illegal weapons at her home.

Dorothy Hirsch, 62, who was married to the late Glenn Hirsch, 51, is being charged with criminal possession of eight illegal weapons, which were allegedly found inside her apartment in Briarwood on June 2, prosecutors say.

She and Glen Hirsch lived apart and the apartment where the illegal weapons were found is solely listed in her name, prosecutors say.

According to the charges, police found the guns after searching her apartment during an investigation into the death of 45-year-old delivery worker Zhiwen Yan who was shot dead on April 30. Yan was shot in the chest while on his scooter making deliveries for the Great Wall Chinese restaurant located at 104-37 Queens Blvd.

Glenn Hirsch — who was being prosecuted for Yan’s murder at the time he killed himself last month — parked his vehicle outside Dorothy Hirsch’s 84th Road apartment shortly after allegedly shooting Yan prompting the police search. Glenn Hirsch shot Yan over a grudge against the restaurant for shorting him on duck sauce, prosecutors say.

Police found a cache of illegal guns inside a closet in Dorothy Hirsch’s apartment during the search, including a .357 magnum revolver, a .25 caliber semi-automatic pistol, a .38 caliber revolver, a .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol, a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and three 9mm semi-automatic pistols.

The Queens District Attorney’s Office said that Dorothy Hirsch does not have permits or registration documentation to legally possess any of the weapons found.

“These deadly guns, which were recovered in an apartment that she alone owns and occupies, pose an inherent danger to countless nearby residents and the community at large,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said.

Cops said previously that Hirsch had a grudge against the restaurant, having had multiple arguments with workers at the eatery. He was particularly upset that he had been shorted duck sauce while making an order late last year. Police also found a huge stash of condiments inside his fridge — many of which were filled with duck sauce.

Zhiwen Yan and his wife (L) and Yan on his bike (R) moments before being gunned down (Photos: GoFundMe and screenshot)

However, Dorothy Hirsch’s attorney has slammed the charges saying that the guns belonged to Glenn Hirsch – and that his suicide note and corroborating evidence back up those claims.

For instance, Glenn Hirsch sent a suicide note to the judge assigned to his case claiming the guns that police found belonged to him and not his wife — and that she should not face charges for the weapons.

“I want to take full responsibility for the eight guns recovered from a closet in her apartment. I acquired these firearms years ago …” Hirsch wrote in the suicide note, according to the New York Post.

Dorothy Hirsch’s attorney, Mark Bederow, said the guns were stashed in a closet filled exclusively with Glenn Hirsch’s belongings. Furthermore, Bederow said, the guns were packed in a way Glenn Hirsch stored all his possessions — in plastic and tinfoil inside large garbage bags – thereby reinforcing the claim the guns belonged to her former husband.

Bederow accused the Queens DA of withholding this evidence from the grand jury in order to secure the indictment against her.

“We believe this is one of the rare cases that the DA’s cherry-picking of evidence was so egregious and which their deliberate withholding of substantial evidence of Dorothy’s innocence was so prejudicial that it will require the dismissal of the indictment,” Bederow told the New York Post.

In the suicide note, Glenn Hirsch also declared himself innocent of slaying Zan, a married father of three, who had worked at the restaurant for more than a decade. He had immigrated to the U.S. from China about 20 years ago.

In total, Dorothy Hirsch is being charged with eight counts of criminal possession of a firearm and one count of unlawful possession of firearm ammunition

She faces 15 years in prison if convicted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.