You are reading

WATCH: Short Video Showcasing Corona Plaza and Its Diverse Group of Food Vendors

A food vendor at Corona Plaza (Screenshot)

Aug. 24, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A short video showcasing nearly a dozen food vendors operating at a busy public space in Corona was released last month.

The video captures a diverse group of business owners and food vendors plying their trade at Corona Plaza, located at 103rd St. and Roosevelt Ave. They are shown serving food and discussing some of their most popular dishes that originate from countries such as Mexico, Ecuador and China.

The video, called We Are Corona Plaza, was produced by the Queens Economic Development Corporation (QEDC), a non-profit that helps promote small businesses across the borough. The organization released the video last month as part of an effort to boost the local economy in Corona.

Corona was hit hard last year by COVID-19 and the documentary was put together to capture the area’s economic recovery.

“It’s a hustling, working-class community that was devastated by the virus… yet now it has come rushing back in a swarm of delicious aromas, culture, and energy,” narrator Andres Barbosa says in the five-minute video.

The short flick kicks off by showing an aerial view of Corona Plaza, which quickly transforms into a map highlighting 11 small businesses operating in and around the area. The map is used by Barbosa to guide the viewer around the plaza as uplifting music plays in the background.

The video makers first visit Tulcinango Mexican Bakery, a brick and mortar establishment located on the southwestern corner of the plaza at 103-02 Roosevelt Ave.

The owner of the bakery shows off his Conchas—traditional Mexican sweet bread rolls—which are his best-selling items.

The video then stops at two food vendors along the western portion of the plaza. A pair of women from Mexico are selling quesadillas from a stall while another vendor who is also from Mexico is selling tacos from a small food cart.

Next, the video moves to the northern section of the plaza taking in some other food vendors including a woman offering Ecuadorian dishes such as papita con cuero (potatoes with pork skin), a Bangladeshi man selling fruit and a Mexican woman describing tlayudas oaxaquenas, a pizza-like dish made with a tortilla wrap.

The tour concludes with an overview of three establishments located in buildings running along the southern end of the bustling plaza. The small businesses include a store serving Thai crepes, a Guatemalan restaurant and finally a restaurant offering Chinese and Spanish fare.

“[Corona Plaza] is “a marketplace filled with the taste of home from anywhere and everywhere,” Barbosa says.

Sam Massol, program manager at the QEDC, said Corona Plaza is a special area given the food vendors and he hopes the video prompts more people to visit the public space.

“They serve some of the best food in the city, and I hope people will support them.”

The video was directed by Devin T. Klos and produced by Jonathan Forgash.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Dana Romano

Not one mention of how this area ignored the entire pandemic and majority of them remained opened all year around while the NYPD and Politicians did nothing to stop them from being out there all day everyday in an area that was one of if not the most effected by CoVid. Ridiculous.

3
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.