You are reading

US Tennis Open To Go Ahead Without Spectators: Cuomo

Arthur Ashe Stadium (slgckgc via Flickr CC)

June 16, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The US Tennis Open will go ahead in Queens this summer without spectators, Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced.

The competition will be held on its originally scheduled dates of Aug. 31 through to Sept. 13.

“It will be held without fans but we can watch it on TV and I’ll take that,” Cuomo said at his daily press briefing.

The annual tournament had been under threat due to COVID-19 restrictions but Cuomo has given organizers the green light so long as they take extraordinary precautions to protect players and staff.

Cuomo said that the United States Tennis Association has agreed to carry out a number of measures including robust testing. Staff will perform additional cleaning and extra locker room space will be made available. There will also be dedicated housing and transportation for players and officials.

“We must remain vigilant and the USTA is taking all necessary precautions with players and staff, but this is an exciting day for the state,” Cuomo said.

The event will take place at that the Billie Jean King Tennis Center complex in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, the USTA confirmed.

The organization said it would take all steps necessary to protect both the public and players.

“We recognize the tremendous responsibility of hosting one of the first global sporting events in these challenging times, and we will do so in the safest manner possible, mitigating all potential risks,” USTA Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director Mike Dowse said.

Dowse said that the event will be a massive boost for New York City and for the sport of tennis.

“We now can give fans around the world the chance to watch tennis’ top athletes compete for a US Open title, and we can showcase tennis as the ideal social distancing sport.”

However, some top players have hinted they may not take part due to ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

The men’s and women’s number 1 ranked players Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty, have expressed reservations about participating, according to reports by ESPN. Defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal has also voiced concerns about playing, the report states.

Meanwhile, Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios called the USTA “selfish” for going ahead with the event, according to his Twitter feed.

The US Open is one of four major or “grand slam” tournaments held every year on the world tennis circuit.

The Australian Open was held earlier this year while Wimbledon in the UK has been canceled due to COVID-19. The French Open has been postponed until September.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force investigating vandalism at Forest Hills church that has been targeted in the past

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating a case of criminal mischief at a Forest Hills house of worship in which a vandal threw a rock to intentionally damage its glass front door, according to authorities.

Police say that just before 4 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 29, police from the 112th Precinct were called to Grace Lutheran Church, located at 103-15 Union Tpke., after a man threw a rock and damaged the church’s front door.

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.