You are reading

Trader Joe’s to Close Rego Park Store for a Day for COVID-19 Cleaning

Trader Joe’s Rego Park location at 90-30 Metropolitan Ave. (Queens Post)

April 14, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Trader Joe’s is temporarily shutting some of its stores to carry out COVID-19 cleaning and sanitization work this month– including its Rego Park location where an employee raised concerns about worker safety in the face of the pandemic last month.

The Rego Park location at 90-30 Metropolitan Ave. will close on April 23 and will re-open on April 24. It is one of a dozen stores across the city that will close for one day to carry out the work, according to the company’s website.

The grocery store chain issued a statement noting that it was taking proactive steps to protect the health and safety of both its customers and staff from the deadly virus.

“In line with our longstanding commitment to provide a safe and a clean shopping environment, [our] stores have increased the frequency of cleanings, paying close attention to high touch areas such as restrooms, register areas, grocery carts and hand baskets,” the company said.

On March 21, an employee at the Rego Park location raised concerns about the company’s approach to the virus and alleged that the company was not doing enough at the store to mitigate the spread of the disease.

The employee reached out to the Queens Post and alleged that workers didn’t have gloves to protect them from the coronavirus; there was not enough hand sanitizer, and social distancing procedures were being disregarded. Furthermore, employees were not wearing masks.

The company pushed back against the charges and said that it is concerned about all of its staff and customers safety and questioned the claims.

Since then reports have circulated that employees at various Trader Joe’s stores have contracted the virus. Just days after the Rego Park employee went public, the Union Square location was temporarily closed after a worker at the shop was confirmed to have the virus and the company also shut its Spring Street store in SoHo temporarily after several staff there tested positive for the virus, according to the New York Post.

On March 31 an undisclosed number of employees tested positive for coronavirus at its Merrick location and that store – along with six other stores nationwide – temporarily shuttered, according to the LI Herald.

The stores across New York City that are temporarily closing are listed below along with their closing dates. All stores are scheduled to re-open the following day.

April 20: East Village, 436 East 14th St.
April 21: Brooklyn City Point, 445 Gold St.
April 21: Upper West Side. 2073 Broadway
April 22: Murray Hill, 200 East 32nd St.
April 23: Rego Park, 90-30 Metropolitan Ave.
April 24: Essex Crossing, 400 Grand St.
April 24: Union Square, 142 East 14th St.
April 27: Union Square (wine shop), 138 East 14th St.
April 27: Chelsea, 675 Sixth Ave.
April 28: Brooklyn, 130 Court St.
April 28: SoHo, 233 Spring St.
April 28: Upper West Side at 670 Columbus Ave.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.