You are reading

Queens Public Library to Reopen Eight More Branches in August

The Queens Public Library at Ridgewood is one of eight branches reopening on Aug. 10. (Google Maps)

July 27, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The Queens Public Library (QPL) will reopen a second batch of branches in August after reopening a handful of sites earlier this month.

The library system will reopen eight additional locations for “to-go” service on Aug. 10, bringing the total number of open branches to 15. The first seven were reopened for “to-go” service on July 13 after a four-month-long closure.

QPL will reopen its Whitestone, Astoria, Cambria Heights, Jackson Heights, Queensboro Hill, Rego Park, Ridgewood and South Ozone Park branches for pick-ups and returns starting Monday, Aug. 10 at 10 a.m.

The branches will be open with “to-go” service six days a week with a mask requirement in place for both visitors and staff.

Under the “to-go” model, residents can request items online, through the QPL app or by phone and pick them up in a designated area of each branch building. They can return materials in the exterior return machines.

Branch staff will set aside and quarantine all returned items for 96 hours before they are put back into circulation. Each library branch will undergo extensive cleaning as well.

Library visitors are currently not permitted to browse shelves or use public computers inside branch buildings. Public programming and events remain cancelled amid the pandemic.

The seven branches that have already reopened under the “to-go” model have welcomed more than 3,200 people since July 13. Library users have checked out 8,500 items and returned 28,000 books and other materials.

“These numbers, along with very positive feedback from our staff and customers, indicate a strong demand for our resources,” QPL President and CEO Dennis Walcott said. “More importantly, we have heard from many people who have said they feel safe and protected in our branches, whether they are working in or visiting them.”

The library system shut all of its 66 branches on March 16 to stop the spread of COVID-19.

QPL plans to reopen more branches on a gradual basis.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.