You are reading

Queens Opioid Crisis Surges During COVID-19: DA Katz

Michael Longmire (Unsplash)

June 1, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queens is in the grips of an opioid overdose epidemic.

The number of people who have died from an opioid overdose has shot up in 2020, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said Monday.

In the first five months this year, Queens County recorded 86 suspected opioid overdoses – a 56 percent jump in overdose deaths compared to the same period in 2019. In the first five months of 2019, 55 people had died from a suspected opioid overdose.

The spike follows a period when the number of suspected opioid overdoses appeared to have leveled off. For instance, there were 265 opioid overdose deaths in 2019, up slightly from 251 the year before.

The spike in numbers come as Queens is being hit with coronavirus. There have been over 6,200 confirmed or probable deaths from the virus in Queens, according to the latest official city-data.

District Attorney Melinda Katz (Katz for DA)

Katz noted that opioid addiction remains one of the greatest public health threats in a generation.

Opioids are extremely deadly, Katz said, particularly when illicitly manufactured with fentanyl and other derivatives.

Last year, around 60 percent of opioid overdose deaths in Queens were from such ingredients, she said.

She said America is in the grips of an opioid epidemic with over 67,000 recorded deaths involving the drug nationwide in 2018, citing the latest CDC data.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.