You are reading

Queens Man Who Fantasized About a Mass-Shooting Gets 57 Months in Jail for Weapons Charge

(iStock)

July 14, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A Bayside man who glorified an attack against Jews and fantasized about a mass shooting has been sentenced to nearly five years in prison for buying an illegally defaced firearm.

Joseph Miner, 31, was sentenced in Brooklyn federal court Tuesday to 57 months in prison for purchasing a Glock 9mm handgun with a scraped-off serial number, prosecutors said.

Miner was caught trying to buy the weapon from an undercover FBI agent posing as a gun dealer at a Queens hotel near LaGuardia Airport in May 2020. Daniel Jou, his neighbor, was also busted in the sting.

Law enforcement began tracking Miner in late 2019 after he took to social media in an attempt to get weapons for a “racial holy war,” prosecutors said.

Federal officials said Miner posted several social media messages where he fantasized about becoming a martyr and described how he would “go out in a blaze of glory” in a mass shooting attack.

Prosecutors added that, on occasions, Miner disavowed interest in conducting an attack by himself.

Nevertheless, Miner had a history of posting racist and anti-Semitic messages and allegedly celebrated a number of hate crimes that had made headlines, prosecutors said.

For example, he described a 2019 machete attack at a synagogue in Monsey, NY, as exciting and expressed praise for the 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virg. on social media, according to authorities.

Other posts included a photograph of Miner giving a Nazi salute and another of a Planned Parenthood facility being blown up by the comic book character the Joker, prosecutors said.

“Tbh [to be honest] dying fighting Paki and African pieces of shit in Europe wouldn’t be the worst way to go. Die a hero,” he wrote, according to prosecutors.

Miner pleaded guilty to the firearm charge in January. He had also purchased an AR-15-style ghost gun and a Mossberg 500 shotgun off the undercover agent but charges for those weapons were dropped as part of his plea agreement, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Acting U.S. Attorney Jacquelyn Kasulis said that illegal guns pose a serious threat to the safety of the community.

“Today’s sentence holds Miner accountable for his knowing purchase of a firearm that could not be traced because its serial number had been removed,” Kasulis said.

  1. Meanwhile, Jou, his neighborhood, is scheduled to appear in federal court on Aug. 31 to face charges. He is expected to plead guilty.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force investigating vandalism at Forest Hills church that has been targeted in the past

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating a case of criminal mischief at a Forest Hills house of worship in which a vandal threw a rock to intentionally damage its glass front door, according to authorities.

Police say that just before 4 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 29, police from the 112th Precinct were called to Grace Lutheran Church, located at 103-15 Union Tpke., after a man threw a rock and damaged the church’s front door.

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.