You are reading

Queens Electeds Back Holden’s Proposal to Deck Section of Long Island Expressway in Maspeth

An ambitious plan proposed by councilmember Robert Holden that would see a section of the Long Island Expressway in Maspeth decked over is quickly gathering support among Queens legislators. (Photos, from L to R; Councilmember Robert Holden via NYC Council, Congresswoman Grace Meng via NYC Council; Sen. Chuck Schumer via Mike Gianaris Twitter; State Senator Joseph Addabbo official portrait, Assemblyman Brian Barnwell via Facebook)

July 18, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

An ambitious plan proposed by councilmember Robert Holden that would see a section of the Long Island Expressway in Maspeth decked over is quickly gathering support among Queens legislators.

U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer, Congresswoman Grace Meng, State Senator Joseph Addabbo and Assemblyman Brian Barnwell have now voiced their support for exploring the proposal.

The plan for the LIE in Maspeth, which is in its infancy stages, would see a 1,600-foot stretch of the highway from 69th Lane to Hamilton Place covered, or capped, with a decking-like structure. A park area would then be created on top of the structure along with parking spaces. The roadway below would remain unchanged.

Holden, who called for the new plans earlier this month, says the project would drastically reduce noise pollution in the community and would also help to physically reconnect the neighborhood – given that the highway slices through the heart of the neighborhood.

He has now garnered the support of the four Queens lawmakers.

On Thursday Meng penned a letter to Mayor Adams requesting the city apply for a grant from the Infrastructure Bill that would then be used to study the feasibility of the plan — as well as similar projects throughout the city. The letter was co-signed by Addabbo, Barnwell and Holden. Schumer has also indicated his support for the proposal.

“Maspeth residents have long faced significant air and noise pollution from the barrage of cars and trucks,” the letter reads.

“Additionally, the expressway has few pedestrian crossings, making it especially difficult for seniors and children to access their community in its entirety.”

“I encourage the city to explore ways in which this community could be reconnected.”

Maspeth Cap

The project, if completed, would see a 1,600-foot stretch of the LIE running from 69th Lane to Hamilton Place in Maspeth covered, or capped, by a decking-like structure. The area is marked above (Google Maps)

The letter states that the city could tap into funds of up to $2 million to carry out the evaluations.

“I believe securing this funding would be a crucial step forward in finally reconnecting Maspeth.”

The Long Island Expressway was built in the 1950s at a time when many of America’s highways were being constructed. While the projects connected many parts of the country, critics argue that the roads also physically separated communities such as Maspeth.

Thursday’s letter comes after Holden initially pitched the idea in a July 5 letter to Schumer, Meng and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand. In the letter, he appealed to the lawmakers to tap into the estimated $110 billion from the Infrastructure Bill that is being allocated for public roads and bridges. The bill was signed into law by President Joe Biden in November.

He noted that the city could not afford to pay for such a large-scale project in Maspeth.

Meng, in a statement to the Queens Post Thursday, said she supported the plan for the LIE in Maspeth but said the city must act to get the project off the ground.

“While I proudly passed the bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, it is now up to the city to apply for available funding,” Meng said.

“I hope Councilman Holden can work with the city to apply for the federal funding that I have already voted for and secured.”

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Schumer said the lawmaker is happy to work with community leaders to advance the project.

The Queens Post reached out to Gillibrand’s office for a response to Holden’s initial letter but did not receive a response before publication.

The plans call for a section of the LIE in Maspeth to be decked over (Photo: Google Maps)

Letter to Mayor by Queens Post

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.