You are reading

Queens Catholic Priest Removed From Ministry Following Sexual Misconduct Investigation Involving Teens

Father John O’Connor, pictured, who was a pastor at St. Gregory the Great in Bellerose, has been removed from the priesthood following an investigation into sexual misconduct involving minors (Photo: Brooklyn Diocese)

Jan. 31, 2022 By Christian Murray

A pastor at a Queens catholic church has been removed from the ministry.

Father John O’Connor, 54, who was a pastor at St. Gregory the Great in Bellerose has been removed from the priesthood following an investigation into sexual misconduct involving minors, according to the Diocese of Brooklyn, which serves Brooklyn and Queens.

A decision to remove him was determined by the Diocesan Review Board—an independent investigatory panel established by the diocese—following an investigation into claims that he had inappropriate internet communications with teenagers in March 2000 while assigned to St. Athanasius in Brooklyn.

The review board had been investigating the claims following a lawsuit that had been filed against O’Connor pertaining to a Child Victims Act on Aug. 13, 2020.

“This investigation turned up new evidence,” the diocese said, which provided “sufficient information to substantiate allegations of sexual misconduct with minors via the internet.”

The diocese was aware of O’Connor’s past indiscretions.

After the accusation initially surfaced in 2000, the diocese placed O’Connor on leave to enable him to receive treatment from May 2000 to August 2001. He returned to ministry in the Diocese of Brooklyn in August of 2001, and continued treatment through 2005.

O’Connor’s removal from ministry, announced today, means that he is no longer permitted to celebrate church services publicly, cannot exercise any public ministerial duties, and cannot live in an ecclesiastical residence. His name is also being added to the diocese’s List of Credibly Accused Priests, which can be viewed on its website.

O’Connor was ordained on June 23, 1993 and completed post-graduate studies in Rome. He then served at the following parishes: Our Lady of Mount Carmel, St. Athanasius and St. Clare’s in Brooklyn. He also served as pastor at Incarnation, in Queens Village, and most recently at St. Gregory the Great. O’Connor had been named the Director of the Liturgy Office for the Diocese of Brooklyn.

The diocese said that it has a zero-tolerance policy pertaining to sexual misconduct. Clergy members who are credibly accused of sexual misconduct are permanently removed from ministry.

The diocese also said that it conducts initial and ongoing background checks of all employees and volunteers and provides age-appropriate sexual abuse awareness training for children and adults.

Anyone who has been the victim of clergy sexual abuse is encouraged to report it to law enforcement or to the Toll-Free Reporting Line established by the Diocese at 1-888-634-4499. All calls are forwarded to law enforcement officials.

email the author: [email protected]

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Ben Weissman

Not anyone else… If he was a member of the Hasidic community it would go mostly unreported. This issue runs rampant through that community yet it barely ever makes the news or any convictions. Very peculiar.

Reply
Rose

I’m in shock . Started many new programs at st Greg was so happy with him as our pastor terrible

Reply
paul

Advice. Have an independent outside authority carefully monitor what the clergy does in your district, otherwise do not let the clergy have any contact with children alone.

The Church is still in denial over the abuse. They only have to address it because the law is finally involved but it is hard to change with 2,000 yrs. of doing nothing.

3
1
Reply
paul

This has been going on since the church was founded app. 2,000 yrs. ago. It has only been addressed within the past 30-40 yrs. Like what the famous Willie Sutton said, ie he robs banks because that is where the money is, child abusers become priests because that is where children are that are not regulated by anybody including the state until recently.

Better late then never but but never late, ie about 2,000 yrs.

5
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Southeast Queens man indicted for stealing more than $1.1M in pandemic loan fraud scheme: Feds

A Springfield Gardens man was arrested by federal agents on Thursday morning for allegedly stealing more than $1.1 million in a COVID-19 loan fraud scheme.

Terry Dor, 36, of 145th Road, was arraigned hours later in Brooklyn federal court on an eight-count indictment charging him with wire fraud, theft of public funds and money laundering in connection with a scheme to steal funds from the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program that provided emergency funding to distressed businesses during the pandemic.