You are reading

Public Hearing on Proposed 9-Story Rego Park Development to Take Place Thursday

A nine-story mixed use development is planned where Shalimar Diner was once located (DCP).

Nov. 11, 2020 By Christian Murray

A public hearing will be held Thursday to discuss a developer’s plan to rezone a Rego Park site to make way for a nine-story, 74-unit building where the Shalimar Diner was located.

The hearing, which will be held by Community Board 6 via Zoom starting at 6:30 p.m., will provide the public with the ability to weigh in on the proposal that involves rezoning a large parcel on the south east corner of 63rd Drive and Austin Street.

People looking to comment are required to register and must e-mail the Community Board 6 office at [email protected] before 3 p.m. Nov. 12.

The site, which has an official address of 91-32 63rd Dr., is currently located in a R4 zoning district—with a C2-2 commercial overlay—which typically allows for a three-story mixed use building, according to City Planning documents

The applicant, David Koptiev, the owner of the Forest Hills-based company Platinum Realty, requires a zoning change to a R7A district with a C2-3 commercial overlay in order to move forward with the 9-story plan.

The plan involves the development of 74 units, with 24 of the units to be designated as Affordable Independent Residences for Seniors (AIRS). The affordable units would target seniors earning less that 80 percent Area Median Income in accordance with the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing program. For a couple, 80 percent is $72,800 per year.

The development would consist of 24 studios, 24 one-bedroom units and 26 two-bedroom units, which would be located on floors 2 through 9.

The plans were certified by City Planning on Oct. 5, marking the beginning of the public review process.

The plans– since a zoning change is needed–are now going before Community Board 6 for review. The board is required to hold a public hearing before issuing an advisory opinion on the project and whether a zoning change should be permitted.

The plans will then go to the Queens Borough President’s office for another advisory opinion, before going to the City Planning Commission and then the city council for a binding vote.

The plan will ultimately need the support of Council Member Karen Koslowitz, since it is customary for the council to vote according to the wishes of the representative where the zoning change is proposed.

Koslowitz has yet to weigh in on the project and a spokesperson for her office said she will not come to a decision until a final plan has been produced.

“This plan is not written in stone, and like most ULURP applications, there will be modifications,” Koslowitz’s spokesperson said last month. “Essentially, the general question to be considered is this: is the added density that this project will create justified by the added number of sorely needed affordable units?”

The public review process is expected to take about six months.

Koptiev aims to complete the project in 2022, according to City Planning filings.

email the author: [email protected]

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
COCED

Civil was will pale in comparison with the fight for “affordable housing” in this proposed monstrosity and the developer will benefit immensely ))

Reply
Sara Ross

Typical Koslowitz – she only seeks attention and people’s approval when she’s trying to keep her job! I think Koptiev should be rezoned back to where he came from and I would question his finances. The way the ugly structures on owned by you know who have destroyed the quaintness of the area, he and his ilk are looking to destroy more of the area with residential buildings. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE RESIDENTS!! WE NEED STORES, DINERS, SMALL BUSINESSES.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.