You are reading

NYC Public School Families Will Have Just One Chance to Opt Back Into Blended Learning

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Oct. 26, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City public school families will have just one chance to opt into in-person classes for the rest of the school year — beginning next week.

Families who had opted into fully-remote classes, but now want to switch back to the city’s blended learning model — in which students attend classes in person on some weekdays and remotely on other days — can do so anytime from Nov. 2 through Nov. 15, the city announced Monday.

“The pandemic has caused so much uncertainty in every aspect of life and for families who needed a bit more time to feel comfortable sending their children back, now is that time,” Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said.

The two-week period, however, is the only time families can switch back to the hybrid class structure, he announced.

The announcement is a departure from what the Department of Education (DOE) had previously said — that parents would be able to enroll their children back into blended learning on a quarterly basis.

Carranza said the department limited the enrollment to one window to avoid confusion.

“This will be the only time to opt in, which is a change from what we originally had said over the summer,” he said during a press conference today. “We think this is better for the sake of stability for all students, for families and educators.”

The DOE extended the opt-in window to 14 days from what was originally planned since it will be the only time parents can decide to send their children back to school buildings.

Meanwhile parents can enroll their children to full remote learning at any time. More and more parents have been doing so since classes began in September.

Less than half of the 1.1 million New York City public school students are now enrolled in blended learning.

Carranza said the number of in-person learners is lower than the DOE had anticipated as many families may have been hesitant to send their kids back into classrooms initially.

He said the numbers now show that public schools are safe and can give parents a sense of security to send their children back to school buildings.

The COVID-19 positivity rate at city public schools is just .15 percent, according to the latest data, Mayor Bill de Blasio said at the press briefing.

“We are seeing more and more evidence of just how safe our schools are and more and more evidence that kids are benefitting from in-person education,” de Blasio said.

Parents can enroll their children into blended learning by filling out an online form, beginning next week.

“Now that we’ve been able to show how our schools are working, it’s time for an opt-in period,” de Blasio said. “It’s time to give parents and kids a chance to come back into school if they’re all remote right now.”

Students who enroll in blended learning during the two-week window will return for their first day of in-person classes between Nov. 30 and Dec. 7, according to a DOE spokesperson.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.