You are reading

New York State to Send Hundreds of Thousands of Medical Supplies to Five Boroughs

Gov.Cuomo at the press briefing this morning.

March 23, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York State will send hundreds of thousands of masks, gloves, gowns and face shields to New York City, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

The incoming supplies will ensure hospital staff in New York City can adequately protect themselves– and patients–as the number of coronavirus cases continues to rise. As of this morning, there were more than 20,000 cases with 157 deaths statewide, Cuomo said.

New York City reported 12,339 cases of coronavirus this morning, with 3,621 in Queens. Meanwhile, 99 New York City residents have died from the virus, according to New York City data released this morning.

New York City will get 169,880 N-95 masks, 430,850 surgical masks, 176,750 gloves, 72,561 gowns and 98,543 face shields, Cuomo said at a press conference today. However, a lot more will be needed in coming weeks, he added.

Last week, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the City needed millions of personal protective equipment and medical supplies or lives would be unnecessarily lost. He said the City was two or three weeks from running out of supplies.

Cuomo said the influx of supplies will help make a difference, but they aren’t enough to last the whole pandemic.

“Today we can get masks to anyone who needs them and gowns,” Cuomo said, as he emphasized the word today. “I can’t promise you next week or the week thereafter.”

He called on President Donald Trump to make use of the Federal Defense Production Act and mandate private industry and factories to begin producing the much-needed supplies, as states are in bidding wars with each other for the coveted supplies.

“We need the federal government to use the Defense Production Act so that we can get the medical supplies we desperately need,” Cuomo said on Twitter. “We can’t just wait for companies to come forward with offers and hope they will. This is a national emergency.”

He noted that states are competing with one another for much needed items raising prices. He said Sunday that surgical masks that normally cost $.85 had been for sale at over $4 a few days ago.

He said the federal government should step in and acquire them and then just distribute them where the need is greatest.

The State is also working to increase the hospital system capacity and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will begin construction of four temporary hospitals — with a total of 1,000 beds — inside Manhattan’s Jacob K. Javits Center this week.

The state currently has 53,000 beds, but could need up to 110,000 beds if cases of COVID-19 continue to rise at the current pace, Cuomo said.

Cuomo will also create temporary hospitals at SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Old Westbury and Westchester Convention Center– each to have 250 beds. He has mandated existing hospitals to increase their capacity by at least 50 percent.

The state is also calling all registered nurses to enlist to help New York’s coronavirus response in order to increase staff.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.