You are reading

New York City On Track to Enter Phase Two Monday: Hair Salons, Outdoor Dining to Reopen

Governor Andrew Cuomo discussing the decline in new COVID-19 cases in New York City (Gov. Andrew Cuomo at today’s press briefing)

June 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City is on track to enter Phase Two of the state’s reopening process Monday, with hair salons, barbershops and outdoor dining to reopen.

Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement today just hours after Mayor Bill de Blasio refused to give a precise date for when the city will move into the second reopening phase.

De Blasio said the city must wait to see if there is an uptick in COVID-19 cases stemming from recent protests before making a decision. He said the Health Department will know if the demonstrations have had an impact as early as the weekend.

“It’s a day-to-day discussion,” he said of a Phase Two date this morning. “We want to come to a decision with the state as quickly as possible.”

The mayor said the earliest day possible would be Monday, but he has previously warned the city may not move into Phase Two until early July.

However, Cuomo said New York City has made significant progress fighting back the deadly virus and is ready to take the next step towards getting back to normalcy.

“New York [City] is on track to enter Phase Two on Monday,” Cuomo said at his daily briefing in Albany.

Under Phase Two, retail stores can open in-store shopping. Some offices, places of worship, real estate offices and car dealerships can also reopen with limited capacities.

Hair salons and barbers shops will be able to reopen at 50 percent capacity, while restaurants will be able to open their doors for outdoor service also at 50 percent capacity. Customers and staff must wear face masks.

The Big Apple will be the last of the state’s 10 regions to begin Phase Two. Several regions have already entered Phase Three.

“You look at all the numbers, all the numbers are good,” Cuomo said, indicating the city has met the standards to move forward.

The number of new hospital admissions for suspected COVID patients has decreased dramatically in New York City. On Monday, 55 patients were admitted to a hospital — well below the city’s goal of below 200.

Just 2 percent of city residents who were tested Monday were found to have COVID-19, according to the latest DOH data.

“New York [City] has climbed the mountain and it was the highest mountain in the state of New York,” Cuomo said today, as he displayed a graphic showing a rapid decline in COVID-19 cases.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Deborah K.

Had to laugh. ABC news reported from Austin Street in Forest Hills about the city opening up.I took my first walk today on Continental Avenue and the only ones with masks were construction men. Near PS 144 , almost nobody has a mask. Near my home, at least 50% are without masks. I have been told by someone who works in hospitals that they are not calling it COVID anymore, they call it respiratory distress. Are we in Florida?

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.