Jan. 29, 2020 By Kristen Torres
The MTA announced yesterday that it is taking all appropriate precautions to prevent the potential spread of coronavirus in the city.
The agency said that while there have been no confirmed cases of the virus in New York, it stands ready to make sure that its employees and its 8 million daily customers–across the NYC Transit, Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road– are kept safe.
The MTA said that it is assessing contingency plans and materials used in the past to address health conditions should the Centers for Disease Control recommend further action by transportation networks. The MTA said it is working closely with state and federal health officials.
“We take this issue very seriously, and are following the CDC’s lead while we further monitor the situation and evaluate contingency plans,” said Patrick Warren, Chief Safety Officer of the MTA. “In the meantime, we encourage everyone to take the standard precautions they would during any flu season.”
MTA officials are urging their employees get flu shots. Additionally, they are advising customers to take additional precautions–such as washing their hands, avoiding contact with sick people, and covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue. The agency is also asking customers to stay home if sick.
The coronavirus first appeared in China last year, and the United States saw its first case of the virus on Jan. 21, according to the CDC.
The CDC said individuals who are experiencing symptoms and may have traveled to areas of concern, or have been in contact with someone who has traveled to those areas, should get checked out by a healthcare provider.