You are reading

Meng Calls on Trump Administration to Abandon Fee Hikes for Immigrants Applying for Citizenship

Nov. 20, 2019 By Kristen Torres

New York Representative Grace Meng has joined forces with other congressional Democrats in an effort to stop the Department of Homeland Security from pursuing plans to hike immigration application fees.

Meng, along with three of her congressional colleagues, penned a letter to the heads of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) demanding that they abandon plans to hike USCIS application fees. Their letter was co-signed by 80 members of Congress.

The Trump administration announced plans to raise the fees for those seeking naturalization, permanent residency and employment authorization — among other fees – late last week.

“These massive increases are outrageous and are yet another case of the Trump administration attacking our immigrant communities,” Meng said in a statement.

The plan would nearly double fees for naturalization: from $725 to $1,170.

Additional fee hikes would affect those looking for permanent residency — raising application fees from $1,220 to $2,195 — as well as renewals for those protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), increasing those applications by nearly $300.

“Hiking and implementing additional fees will only create more barriers for immigrants,” Meng said.

According to the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, nearly half the population of Queens are immigrants — and a little more than 600,000 are naturalized citizens.

“Immigrants make our nation great, and we will not allow this administration to kick them to the curb,” Meng said. “We will do all we can to stop these increases from going into effect.”

The president’s plan will also get rid of fee waivers for nearly all avenues to citizenship or lawful residency, leaving little options for those seeking financial help.

Representative Meng, alongside U.S. Reps. Pramila Jayapal, Jesus “Chuy” Garcia and Norma Torres, also criticized the administration’s decision to shorten the public commentary period on its decision — from 60 to 32 days.

“By allotting only 32 days for comment, the agency is sending the message that it is unconcerned about the impact of its proposal on this country,” reads the letter penned by the representatives.

Representatives Meng, Jayapal and Garcia introduced the New Deal for New Americans Act to congress last month, which would bar the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office from raising fees without congressional approval.

Letter Concerning Proposed Jump in Fees by Queens Post on Scribd

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
MEDIAWATCHER

The crimes and outrages of T-rump and his administration are numerous and notorious. Thanks are in order to Rep. Meng and her colleagues, for their part in attempting to halt this latest cynical and inhumane attack upon the hard-working and productive members of our society who were born elsewhere, and choose to become US citizens.
We should welcome them, not place onerous financial barriers in the way.

28
6
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.