You are reading

Man Sentenced to 25-Years to Life for Road Rage Murder in Kew Gardens

iStock

Feb. 7, 2018 By Christian Murray

A man who was convicted of shooting two brothers—killing one of them—in a 2011 road rage incident in Kew Gardens was sentenced to 25 years to life Monday, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

George Cupi, 54, of Shelton, Connecticut, was convicted last month of a number of charges including second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder.

Cupi, according to the Queens DA, shot the men after a dispute erupted after he double parked his van on Austin Street near 84th Road on the evening of July 14, 2011.

Victim Jovanny Adames, 31, was driving along Austin Street and was blocked behind Cupi’s van. He beeped his horn a few times to get Cupi to move so he could pass. When Cupi did not move the van, Adames hopped out of his car and the two men started to argue.

Adames’ brother, Roberto Adames, 25, heard the commotion and got involved. The three men argued until Cupi drove away.

Cupi then drove back a few minutes later. He caught up with the brothers who were sitting at Eight Oaks Triangle park near the incident and pulled out a .38 caliber revolver and started shooting.

He shot Roberto Adames in the chest three times, killing him. Jovanny Adames was shot in the face and the bullet lodged in his brain, but he survived.

Cupi remained at large until 2015. Connecticut law enforcement arrested him after receiving an anonymous letter that said Cupi had committed a murder in Kew Gardens in 2011.

“This was a senseless shooting,” said Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown. “The traffic dispute had ended and the defendant…instead of letting it go, he returned just minutes later to the same street. He shot both men as they sat in a park.”

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Mediawatcher

Justice at last!
Let’s see how this Nutmeg State nitwit likes the NY State prison system for the next 25 years.
Message to racist out-of-town murderers: Keep out of Queens or pay the price !

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Southeast Queens man indicted for stealing more than $1.1M in pandemic loan fraud scheme: Feds

A Springfield Gardens man was arrested by federal agents on Thursday morning for allegedly stealing more than $1.1 million in a COVID-19 loan fraud scheme.

Terry Dor, 36, of 145th Road, was arraigned hours later in Brooklyn federal court on an eight-count indictment charging him with wire fraud, theft of public funds and money laundering in connection with a scheme to steal funds from the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program that provided emergency funding to distressed businesses during the pandemic.