You are reading

Iconic Shalimar Diner Demolished; Efforts To Relocate It To Long Island Squashed

The former Shalimar Diner at 63-68 Austin St. (Photo: Queens Post)

July 11, 2019 Shane O’Brien

The Shalimar Diner in Rego Park has been demolished, despite the efforts of local preservationists who had planned to relocate it to Long Island.

Forest Hills native and preservationist Michael Perlman, who is credited with previously saving the Moondance and Cheyenne Diners from the wrecking ball, had launched a campaign in April to save the Shalimar. However, pictures emerged on social media yesterday of the iconic diner lying in piles of rubble at its former home at 63-68 Austin St.

Perlman had teamed up with New York attorney Ronald Hariri and former Mets player and 1986 World Series champion Lenny Dykstra to attempt to save the diner by moving it to a new home in Riverhead Long Island, but the plan failed because of strict zoning laws in the town, according to Hariri.

“The town of Riverhead is extremely restrictive in trying to keep the rural character of the hamlet and our professionals advised us that the diner would not meet the town’s tough zoning standards, and that an application for a variance would likely be unsuccessful and take too long,” Hariri said.

“We are disappointed that another part of New York’s past with so many great memories is gone,” he added.

The diner, which was featured in the 2013 movie “The Wolf of Wall Street” and the CBS show “Blue Bloods,” closed in November of last year due to rising rents and declining business.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Florence

I’m. Very sorry to hear about the shalimar diner
Was looking forward to visiting the diner in riverhead
I feel terrible

6
8
Reply
Sara Ross

I still miss the food and some of the wait staff. I wish there were stricter zoning laws in Forest Hills so that those ugly structures that were built on Jewel Avenue and surrounding areas and the ones that will unfortunately be built since 3 more homes are for sale wouldn’t be allowed. They’ve destroyed the area.

11
25
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.