You are reading

Homeowners No Longer Face Violations for Sidewalk Damage Caused by Street Trees

Mayor’s Office

Sept. 11, 2019 By Allie Griffin

Homeowners will no longer be penalized for sidewalk damage caused by city trees, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday.

Previously if a sidewalk in front of a home was damaged by a tree’s roots, the homeowner would be notified by the city and a lien would be issued against the property. The lien would prevent the owner from selling or refinancing a home until the sidewalk was repaired.

Many homeowners with this issue had to pay private contractors out of pocket to get the sidewalks fixed in a timely matter. While the city would make the repairs without cost to the homeowner, often it would take too long before the repairs were made.

Therefore, those trying to sell their homes with a lien were often forced to pay contractors to get the problem squared away.

There are about 50,000 existing broken sidewalk violations currently and the Department of Transportation will review each one to determine if the damage was caused solely by street trees and will then cancel the liens for any that meet the criteria.

The change in policy specifically provides relief to the owners of one, two and three family properties where there is sidewalk damage caused solely by city trees.

The DOT and the Parks Department will continue to inspect for dangerous sidewalk conditions, but the city, not the homeowner will be responsible for fixing them if they are exclusively tree-related, according to the announcement.

Thanks to the announcement, homeowners will be able to sell their homes without having to deal with the city should an adjacent sidewalk be damaged by a tree. However, those who have paid contractors to do the work in the past will not be compensated by the city, the mayor said.

“For nearly six years my office has fielded relentless complaints about liens placed on homes because of a sidewalk cracked by City tree roots,” Council Member Costa Constantinides said. “I’m glad to see today that a bad status quo is changing and the government is taking ownership where it should have all along.”

The city also pledged to speed up its sidewalk repair program to address 5,500 high priority sites over the next three years.

In June, New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer found that it took more than a year or 419 days on average for the Parks Department to fix a tree-damaged sidewalk after it was inspected in an audit of the agency.

According to the mayor’s office, the Parks Department will repair the more than 5,000 damages sites by the end of FY ‘22 and within the year following, the worst sidewalk conditions caused by street trees will be repaired.

“Our more than 650,000 street trees are a tremendous resource to the city, but over the decades root growth has caused conflicts on our city’s sidewalks,” said NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver, FAICP.

“Our plan to repair all backlogged sites over the next three years, combined with new policies around sidewalk violations, will ensure that trees remain a boon to New Yorkers and not a burden.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Gardens Watcher

Long overdue. City trees need more TLC.

Now if we could only get the dog walkers to curb their dogs rather than peeing on the trees.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.