You are reading

Ground Breaks On New Borough Hall Parking Lot

The old borough hall parking garage being demolished in 2015

The old borough hall parking garage being demolished in 2015

Dec. 2, 2016 By Domenick Rafter

Borough Hall is getting its parking lot back.

Borough President Melinda Katz, Queens Transportation Commissioner Nicole Garcia and other officials gathered last week for the groundbreaking of the new borough hall parking lot, which is expected to open next fall on the site of the former parking garage.

The original 400-space garage, built in 1963, served borough hall and the adjacent criminal courthouse for nearly 50 years but was abruptly torn down in 2014 after it was found to be structurally deficient.

At the time the garage was demolished, officials announced that a new surface lot would be built on the site to replace it, behind Borough Hall along Union Turnpike and the Van Wyck Expressway.

But delays in the construction of the lot have caused much angst among municipal employees and visitors, as well as local Kew Gardens residents who say workers and people who utilize the two municipal buildings take up street parking, which is already at a premium in the neighborhood.

The city added 50 parking spots along Queens Boulevard and other local streets that were previous signed for no parking to alleviate the problem.

When the new parking lot opens, it will contain 302 spaces, with six handicapped spots, as well as bioswales, which will help control rainwater runoff and prevent flooding. Katz’s office will also fund security cameras for the lot.

The construction will be done by the City Department of Design and Construction.

“Queens Borough Hall and the Queens Criminal Court are places where the people’s business is conducted, so it is important that there be sufficient parking available so that the people of Queens can easily access these buildings,” said Queens Borough President Melinda Katz.

No official opening date has been announced, but at least one source said the parking lot could be completed and in use by next fall.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.