You are reading

Forest Hills Transformer Fire Causes Smoke, “Popping” Noise

Stock photo (Wikia)

Aug. 31, 2018 By Tara Law

A transformer inside a Forest Hills manhole caught on fire this morning, the Fire Department said.

Emergency responders received a call at 6:01 a.m. this morning that a transformer near 63rd Road and 99th Street was ablaze.

The fire department and Con Edison rushed to the scene and discovered smoke, fire, and a loud “popping” noise coming from the manhole.

Emergency responders managed to extinguish the fire by 7:40 a.m.

No one was injured in the incident, and no property was damaged, the Fire Department said.

A spokesperson from the Fire Department said that the high temperatures over the last week likely caused a high draw on the electrical system. Older transformers sometimes short out under the strain. 

email the author: [email protected]

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News