You are reading

Flushing Busway Gets the Green Light After Judge Strikes Down Opponents’ Appeal

Main Street in Flushing will be made into a busway this month (Google Maps)

Jan. 5, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A last-ditch effort to prevent the city from installing a controversial new busway on Main Street in Flushing was struck down by a Queens Supreme Court judge Tuesday.

Judge Kevin Kerrigan denied an appeal against the Dept. of Transportation which sought to stop the agency from converting a stretch of Main Street into a busway under a 1-year pilot program.

The Article 78 proceeding had been filed by the Flushing Chinese Business Association (FCBA) whose members opposed the busway, arguing that it would reduce private traffic into the area and cut into their bottom line.

However, Kerrigan said that the FCBA had failed to convince the court that the busway would deter customers from coming to the busy shopping zone and thus denied the appeal. He also lifted a temporary restraining order that had postponed the implementation of the busway since Nov. 16.

The judge said that the FCBA’s appeal focused mostly on the issue of access to the new World Mall parking garage.

The FCBA in its lawsuit argued that the new busway would force private vehicles to go around the block instead of being able to drive straight through Main Street in order to get to the parking entrance.

They said the detour would be such an inconvenience that shoppers would stay away from the area and businesses would be crippled as a result.

“Petitioners have failed to show any evidence that… this would discourage people from shopping at the location or adversely affect merchants on Main Street,” Kerrigan wrote.

The new busway, which the MTA says will speed up service, will run 0.6 miles along Main Street from Northern Boulevard to Sanford Avenue. Through traffic would be limited to buses, trucks and emergency vehicles while private vehicles would only be permitted to use the stretch for pick-ups or drop-offs.

The MTA said the layout will improve slow and unpredictable bus speeds for the thousands of people who use buses that traverse the route each day.

The Riders Alliance, a public transport advocacy group, welcomed the court ruling.

“Today’s decision is a huge victory for 150,000 bus riders across Queens and the Bronx,” said Jolyse Race, a senior advisor with the group.

“Citywide, judges have now ruled decisively that when riders win well-deserved priority on busy streets, opponents can’t sue and get their way.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force investigating vandalism at Forest Hills church that has been targeted in the past

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating a case of criminal mischief at a Forest Hills house of worship in which a vandal threw a rock to intentionally damage its glass front door, according to authorities.

Police say that just before 4 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 29, police from the 112th Precinct were called to Grace Lutheran Church, located at 103-15 Union Tpke., after a man threw a rock and damaged the church’s front door.

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.