You are reading

Fire that killed Forest Hills man on Tuesday caused by smoking in bed

Courtyard at 111-29 66 Ave (#FDNY)

Oct. 13, 2017 By Tara Law

The Forest Hills man who died Tuesday after his second-floor apartment erupted in flames accidentally set off the fire by smoking in bed, FDNY officials said.

Ramon Rahim, 59, was in his second floor apartment at 111-29 66th Ave at about 10:20am on Tuesday when the fire broke out. According to the FDNY, he was smoking in bed near the front door of the apartment.

Neighbors spotted Rahim run out into the courtyard on fire. They tried to put him out with water, but he soon died.

Rahim’s nephew survived the fire after jumping from a window, according to an FDNY spokes person. Officials said that he had serious burns to his face and arms. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated for serious but not critical injuries. According to the NYPD, he is in stable condition.

Fire personnel discovered that there was a non-working smoke detector in the apartment.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.