You are reading

Congresswoman Meng Receives Barrage of Racist Voicemails After Condemning Anti-Asian Rhetoric

Congresswoman Grace Meng (Office of Congresswoman Grace Meng)

Sept. 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens Congresswoman Grace Meng has received a barrage of racist and anti-Asian voicemails after passing a resolution in the House of Representatives earlier this month condemning such behavior.

Meng introduced the resolution to denounce anti-Asian sentiment related to the coronavirus pandemic in March and the House passed it on Sept. 17. Since then, her office has had numerous callers leave offensive and obscene messages personally attacking her and Asian Americans.

Meng compiled the audio recordings into a video along with clips of President Donald Trump in which he called the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” and “Kung Flu.”

Several callers used foul language and mentioned the virus by the anti-Asian names used by the president, the video shows.

“Anti-Asian hysteria and discrimination must end,” the video says as it ends.

Meng’s resolution denouncing anti Asian rhetoric didn’t pass the House unanimously, with 164 Republicans voting against it.

“164 Republicans voted against #HRes908 & couldn’t condemn this hate,” she Tweeted. “Words & actions have consequences.”

The video Meng posted also features a clip of President Trump responding to reporter’s question about his use of the words “Chinese virus.”

The reporter asks Trump if referring to the virus that way puts Asian Americans at risk. Trump cut the reporter off mid sentence and said “No.”

Meng denounced Trump for calling the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” when her resolution passed Sept. 17. She said it was only stoking people’s fears and hatred, while scapegoating Asian Americans.

“These are more than just hateful and irresponsible words,” Meng added. “This language has fueled the increase of threats and attacks against those of Asian descent, and many Asian Americans continue to live in fear.”

The number of reported hate crimes against Asian Americans in New York City has jumped since mid-March, according to the NYPD. The NYPD established an Asian Hate Crimes Task Force in August.

“Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, Asian Americans have been forced to endure demeaning and disgusting acts of bigotry and hate, consisting of everything from verbal assaults to physical attacks,” Meng said.

Meng’s resolution calls on federal law enforcement officials to investigate and document all credible reports of hate crimes and threats against the Asian American community in the U.S. and bring the perpetrators to justice.

It also calls on the law enforcement to collect data on the rise of hate crimes due to COVID-19.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.