You are reading

Candidate Knocked Out of Queens BP Race Sues Governor For Cancelling Special Election

Jim Quinn (Jim Quinn for Queens campaign)

May 8, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Prosecutor Jim Quinn, a former candidate for Queens Borough President, filed a lawsuit against Governor Andrew Cuomo today for canceling the special election for the position.

Quinn was knocked out of the race when Cuomo signed an executive order cancelling the special election late last month in favor of the primary election scheduled for the same day.

Quinn only petitioned to run for the nonpartisan special election, which was rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic from its original March 24 date to June 23 — the same day as the Democratic primary.

The governor then axed the special election altogether instead of having two separate elections for the same position on the same day — forcing Quinn off the ballot.

Quinn’s suit calls for the special election to take place as was previously scheduled.

“Absent immediate relief here, I will lose my chance to run for the political office for which I was duly qualified to be on the ballot under the Election Law, and thousands of New Yorkers will lose ballot access for this important local election,” Quinn said in an emergency affidavit filed in Queens Supreme Court.

Quinn, who was the most conservative of the six candidates vying for borough president, also said the decision takes away the ability for non-Democrats to vote.

The special election did not involve political parties. Now only a Democratic primary will be held on June 23.

“Cancelling the Special Election for Queens Borough President will disfranchise non-democrat voters, who are ineligible to participate in the election process the Governor has allowed to proceed,” he wrote in the court filing.

Queens County Republican Party Chairperson Joann Ariola will run as the Republican candidate in the November general election.

Acting Borough President Sharon Lee will remain in the seat through the end of the year and the winner of the November general election will takeover on Jan 1, 2021.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
brad

Quinn is our only hope.
He’s our crime fighter.
He’s the only candidate fighting against the closing of Rikers.

Reply
geo

Oh my God. Quinn is the ONLY candidate fighting to keep Rikers open.
He is rabidly against DeBlasio’s jail in Kew Gardens.
Everybody, PLEASE email the governor!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.