You are reading

Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 33 Years in Prison for 2019 Death of Detective Brian Simonsen

Christopher Ransom was sentenced to 33 years in prison Wednesday after pleading guilty to  aggravated manslaughter and robbery last month (NYPD)

Nov. 18, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A Brooklyn man was sentenced to 33 years in prison Wednesday for the 2019 death of Detective Brian Simonsen, a 19-year-veteran of the NYPD.

Christopher Ransom, 30, pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter and robbery in Queens Supreme Court last month for his role in the February 2019 hold-up of a Richmond Hill store that led to Simonsen’s death.

Ransom and an accomplice held up a T-Mobile store on 120th Street on Feb. 12, 2019. They arrived at the store shortly after 6 p.m. and Ransom ordered two employees to hand over cash and merchandise while brandishing what appeared to be a black pistol, according to court records.

Police arrived as Ransom corralled the two employees in the back room of the store. He pointed the pistol — which turned out to be fake — at the arriving officers and the officers fired their guns, according to the charges.

Simonsen, 42, was shot once in the torso by another officer and died. Sergeant Matthew Gorman was also struck by friendly fire in his left leg and has since recovered.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said she hopes the sentencing can bring some closure to Simonsen’s loved ones.

“My hope is that the family of Detective Brian Simonsen may finally have some closure with the sentencing of this defendant,” Katz said. “His lawless, selfish behavior set the terrible events of that day in motion.”

Ransom also pleaded guilty last month to another cell phone store robbery, which took place days before the fatal robbery.

“[Ransom] committed one of several robberies and terrified the employees of that cell phone store before drawing the fire of police,” Katz said. “The heartbreaking result was the loss Detective Simonsen and the injury of Sergeant Matthew Gorman.”

He was sentenced to 33 years in prison followed by five years’ post-release supervision.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.