You are reading

Battle for Phase IV of Queens Boulevard Redesign About to Begin, Advocates for Redesign Start to Organize

Photo: DOT

Nov. 27, 2017, By Tara Law

Advocates for the DOT’s program to restructure Queens Boulevard—which includes the addition of protected bicycle lanes–will gather Wednesday to organize support for Phase IV, which would go from Yellowstone Boulevard to Union Turnpike.

Transportation Alternatives, a non-profit group with a $4 million budget, will host a meeting in Forest Hills to generate support for Phase IV of the Vision Zero program, which they say will make the streets safer for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.

The meeting will take place at the Queens Bully at 113-30 Queens Boulevard from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The group will discuss petitioning practices and outreach to the community and businesses to generate support.

The DOT aims to implement changes to Queens Boulevard— which will include protected bike lanes, stop signs and other safety features —in 2018.

Advocates say that Queens Boulevard has become safer since the redesign began in 2015. To date, four miles of roadway along Queens Boulevard has been revamped in the first three phases—from Roosevelt Avenue in Woodside to Yellowstone Boulevard in Forest Hills.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced in May as construction of Phase 3— between Eliot Avenue in Rego Park and Yellowstone Boulevard—was about to begin that there had been zero fatalities on Queens Boulevard since 2014, attributing the results to the redesign of the boulevard.

“Queens Boulevard offers the best and most dramatic proof that our efforts at Vision Zero are working,” de Blasio said.  “What was once a ‘Boulevard of Death’ is no longer — as pedestrians, cyclists and motorists all have become accustomed to enjoying a more vital, welcoming and safe street.”

The changes, however, have generated a lot of controversy and mixed views.

John Dereszewski, who is chair of CB6’s Transportation Committee, refused to back Phase III in May because it called for the elimination of 198 parking spaces along the 1.3 mile stretch between Eliot Avenue and Yellowstone Boulevard.

The construction of Phase III took place in summer and several business owners have since claimed that the loss of parking has led to a downturn in business since their customers are unable to find parking.

“The bike lanes aren’t hurting us, they’re murdering us,” Jay Parker, the owner of Ben’s Deli located at 96-40 Queens Blvd., told the Queens Chronicle. “This is our busy season. If things don’t turn around, you could expect layoffs in January or February. I can promise you that.”

The Chronicle cited other businesses with similar complaints.

Community Board 4 supported Phase II—from 74th Street to Eliot Avenue– with the exception of the protected bicycle lanes.

Despite the board’s no vote to bicycle lanes, Mayor de Blasio stepped in and made sure they were installed.

email the author: [email protected]

28 Comments

Mike

Those bike lanes are insanely dangerous to bikers and drivers.
Cars double park because there is not enough parking, so other cars go over the bike lanes.
It is criminal waste of public funds, completely unnecessary.
It greatly reduced quality of life in the neighborhood.

Anonymous

Total insanity! All of these community events looking for input are completely one sided, they do not care about what we think, the DOT is pushing ahead with the crazy idea despite opposition. Just look at Elmhurst – the Community Board voted down the bike lanes but deBozo wanted them anyways, so in they went. Who cares about what the people living in these communities actually wants? A survey group was out last month getting feedback on Queens Blvd in Forest Hills and the minute I told them my concerns about losing so much parking to the bike lane, they changed their tune and then tried to tell me that they could search for alternate parking solutions in the area. Really?? Have you seen how clogged this neighborhood already is?? These are the wacko’s doing deBozo’s bidding.

Guest

If most people along Queens Blvd do not own/lease a car, then why would most people be against a traffic calming plan? Even many drivers are in favor.

Tony

Absolutely infuriating! I’m sick of all their bogus “planning sessions” and community input nonsense. They care NOTHING about the community. The community board in Elmhurst voted DOWN the bike lanes due to the loss of parking spaces, but because this is deBozo’s mission, the lanes got put up anyways. Any community planning session is a total waste of time as the city has their own agenda with this and is determined to make our lives miserable here because deBozo sees this Vision Zero nonsense as his legacy. The DOT had their worthless representatives out by the 75th Ave. E/F stop last month seeking “community input” and once I told them my concerns about the loss of parking, you could see they didn’t want to go there with me and actually had the nerve to suggest there could be alternative options to fix the loss of parking, meanwhile he had NO examples to offer me and knew he was digging a hole and that’s where it all ended, but he took down my comments on his notepad, which I’m sure he threw out a minute later. Really doofus?? Alternative options for parking?? In Forest Hills and Rego Park?? Have you not seen that literally anywhere a car can be parked, something is already parked there and we have no more room to give! Total insanity!!

Anonymous

Absolutely infuriating! I’m sick of all their bogus “planning sessions” and community input nonsense. They care NOTHING about the community. The community board in Elmhurst voted DOWN the bike lanes due to the loss of parking spaces, but because this is deBozo’s mission, the lanes got put up anyways. Any community planning session is a total waste of time as the city has their own agenda with this and is determined to make our lives miserable here because deBozo sees this Vision Zero nonsense as his legacy. The DOT had their worthless representatives out by the 75th Ave. E/F stop a month ago seeking “community input” and once I told them my concerns about the loss of parking, you could see they didn’t want to go there with me and actually had the nerve to suggest there could be alternative options to fix the loss of parking, meanwhile, he had NO examples to offer me and knew he was digging a hole and that’s where it all ended, but he took down my comments on his note pad, which I’m sure he threw out a minute later. Really doofus?? Alternative options for parking?? In Forest Hills and Rego Park?? Have you not seen that literally anywhere a car can be parked, something is already parked there and we have nothing else available! Total insanity!!

super facts

Notice how everyone here complaining can’t spell correctly?

Stupid people hate bike lanes

Anonymous

I’m sick of all their bogus “planning sessions.” They care NOTHING about the community. The community board in Elmhurst voted DOWN the bike lanes due to the loss of parking spaces, but because this is deBozo’s mission, the lanes got put up anyways. The city has their own agenda with this and is determined to make our lives miserable here because deBozo sees this Vision Zero nonsense as his legacy. The DOT had their worthless representatives out by the 75th Ave. E/F stop last month seeking “community input” and once I told them my concerns about the loss of parking, you could see they didn’t want to go there with me and actually had the nerve to suggest there could be alternative options to fix the loss of parking, meanwhile he had NO examples to offer me and that’s where it all ended, but he took down my comments on his notepad, which I’m sure he threw out a minute later. Really doofus?? Alternative options for parking?? In Forest Hills and Rego Park?? Have you not seen that literally anywhere a car can be parked, something is already parked there and we have no more room to give! Total insanity!!

Luda

This is ridiculous. Forest Hills is WAY too crowded! I agree with people. No Bicycle at Queens Blvd. We have two parks near by Forest Park and Frash Corona Meadow Park. I enjoy cycling there. You should be a crazy one if you are cycling on Queens Boulevard. It is bad for drivers AND cycling people.

Ed Pino

Where does it say that parking is a right! I have a car and pay for a parking spot. I also bike and can tell you that it is faster to go into NYC now with a bike than Bus and train,due to the direct lane from Yellowstone to Bridge.
There are many people that use Queens Blvd. we need to get out of the mind set that roads are only for cars.
We all need to share the space we have. All studies show that it is safer.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hundreds if not thousands of people are suffering now because of the parking situation.
They are unable to come home normally after work without spending at least an hour looking for parking.
THIS IS REDICULUS !!!!!!!
Re-consider this project immediately !!!!!

Guest

Boo hoo.

How about those that are killed, seriously injured or suffer substantial property damage?

Learn to share.

Masha

Spent some much $$ For few bicycles, and Chinese deliveries , they are still riding on car driving lines, at least make more parking spaces, Queens Blvd is too busy, plus u can pass if some cars are on double parking so it makes long traffic

Choochoo

I don’t know who was an initiator of this stupid green line, but it’s killing business. Yesterday I was driving on Queen’s blvd and stupid bysicle rider was riding on my right side ahead of me. NOT ON THE GREEN LINE!!!

Arthur Miller

The City DOT has an interactive website where one can make comments about the project’s next phase. Suggest everyone tell them their concerns:

I’m a cyclist AND a driver. The existing QB bike lanes are poorly designed. By eliminating parking PLUS any place to stop, pickup or dropoff passengers or make deliveries (which will happen regardless of painted lines) , drivers drive into the bike lanes… a situation unsafe for the very riders its supposed to protect.

Abby

This is ridiculous. Rego Park is building more buildings and there are spots for parking . The hell with the damn bike lane. Who is going to ride their bike when it’s pouring or snowing out ? I doubt this is going to last long . The people need to stand up and speak up . Why is everyone sleeping ?

Orit gabbay

No Bicycle lane!!!!!!!! this is ridiculous!!! Forest Hills is WAY too crowded! we didn’t have parking to begin with. We are not In Florida where the weather is sunny almost all year round and people would need access to a bicycle lane. This must end now! Local businesses are loosing business because people cannot even park next to their favorite stores or Restaurants.listen to the people!!!! We Know what we are talking about!

Albert Nunez

I owned a business, in Rego Park, I own a car, and Im a cycling athletic person, we need more safety cycling road, good for you, for your health.

Cheryl

That sounds good I’m theory. I still continue to see cyclists without helmets ignoring the rules and not using the bike lane. This is absurd! It now takes me 45 minutes to find parking at night. There are 3 event halls and restaurants without parking lots in that little stretch on queens blvd.

Anonymous

come to woodside sunnyside and long island city it is a MESS – road rage at it best – not good –

Paul

Cyclists are out all year, but if you don’t want to believe that people bike for commuting or leisure only in warm weather, consider this: do you and the other residents of Forest Hills only order delivery food in the summer? I imagine you order year round – working cyclists need safe lanes all year.

Patricia Malley

I can’t make this meeting !! I’m realky angry about what they did with the bicycle lanes and the congestion of buses and cars double parking !! I live near 71st and Queens blvd is so congested it’s 30-40 minutes wait for a bus !!! What gives ??

Eva Harley

I agree with Jay Parker and I don’t even drive. Go to Europe and see how they designed bike lanes. They do not put them in the middle of the boulvards. They should not be dangerous to traffic. They should not cause huge traffic jams.
All the stores and restaurants are very difficult to visit with this hideous design.
Makes many coop owners upset, I want to sell my apt. and move out. The area is going down fast! Thanks to de Blasio who doesn’t even live here.