You are reading

As COVID Cases Rise in Queens and Throughout City, De Blasio Says NYC Has ‘One Last Chance to Stop Second Wave’

Mayor Bill de Blasio ( Michael Appleton/ Mayoral Photography Office)

Nov. 9, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City has “one last chance” to stop a second wave of the coronavirus as new cases continue to surge, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

The number of new cases on a seven-day average — as of Saturday — increased to 779 citywide, up from 593 a week earlier and well above the city’s threshold of the 550 cases it deems safe.

Meanwhile, the the COVID-19 positivity rate has been at about 2 percent or higher for a week and reached 2.36 percent Saturday, de Blasio said Monday.

The city had managed to keep the rate around 1 percent toward the end of summer. The number, however, has continued to creep up since then.

The rise of coronavirus is a problem throughout the city, but some ZIP codes are seeing an uptick greater than others, de Blasio said.

In Queens, Richmond Hill (11418), Averne/ Broad Channel (11693), Hollis/ Holliswood (11423) and Ditmars Steinway (11105) are areas of concern, according to city testing data. The neighborhoods have COVID-19 positivity rates of 4.43 percent, 3.85 percent, 3.84 percent and 3.60 percent respectively.

De Blasio said the numbers show New York City is “dangerously close” to another coronavirus outbreak as COVID-19 cases rise across the country.

“We need to do everything in our power to stop the coronavirus from reasserting [its self] in New York City,” he said at a press briefing Monday. “We have to stop a second wave from happening here.”

The mayor warned that he would have to impose restrictions–such as closing schools and businesses– should the city enter a “full-blown” second wave.

However, he said the city can avoid the closures if the case numbers and positivity rates come down.

“There’s still time to fight [the rising numbers] back, but those are numbers that should have us all alarmed and ready to act with everything we got.”

De Blasio and the City Health Commissioner Dave Chokshi advised New Yorkers to wear masks and avoid indoor gatherings.

They also asked residents not to travel or attend indoor parties and gatherings for the upcoming holidays.

“The virus starts local, but — as we’re seeing around the country and around the world — it doesn’t stay local unless each of us takes the action that we need to to protect ourselves as well as ours,” Chokshi said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.