You are reading

Congresswoman Meng Receives Barrage of Racist Voicemails After Condemning Anti-Asian Rhetoric

Congresswoman Grace Meng (Office of Congresswoman Grace Meng)

Sept. 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens Congresswoman Grace Meng has received a barrage of racist and anti-Asian voicemails after passing a resolution in the House of Representatives earlier this month condemning such behavior.

Meng introduced the resolution to denounce anti-Asian sentiment related to the coronavirus pandemic in March and the House passed it on Sept. 17. Since then, her office has had numerous callers leave offensive and obscene messages personally attacking her and Asian Americans.

Meng compiled the audio recordings into a video along with clips of President Donald Trump in which he called the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” and “Kung Flu.”

Several callers used foul language and mentioned the virus by the anti-Asian names used by the president, the video shows.

“Anti-Asian hysteria and discrimination must end,” the video says as it ends.

Meng’s resolution denouncing anti Asian rhetoric didn’t pass the House unanimously, with 164 Republicans voting against it.

“164 Republicans voted against #HRes908 & couldn’t condemn this hate,” she Tweeted. “Words & actions have consequences.”

The video Meng posted also features a clip of President Trump responding to reporter’s question about his use of the words “Chinese virus.”

The reporter asks Trump if referring to the virus that way puts Asian Americans at risk. Trump cut the reporter off mid sentence and said “No.”

Meng denounced Trump for calling the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” when her resolution passed Sept. 17. She said it was only stoking people’s fears and hatred, while scapegoating Asian Americans.

“These are more than just hateful and irresponsible words,” Meng added. “This language has fueled the increase of threats and attacks against those of Asian descent, and many Asian Americans continue to live in fear.”

The number of reported hate crimes against Asian Americans in New York City has jumped since mid-March, according to the NYPD. The NYPD established an Asian Hate Crimes Task Force in August.

“Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, Asian Americans have been forced to endure demeaning and disgusting acts of bigotry and hate, consisting of everything from verbal assaults to physical attacks,” Meng said.

Meng’s resolution calls on federal law enforcement officials to investigate and document all credible reports of hate crimes and threats against the Asian American community in the U.S. and bring the perpetrators to justice.

It also calls on the law enforcement to collect data on the rise of hate crimes due to COVID-19.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.