You are reading

Queens DA Files Motion to Overturn 1995 Robbery Conviction, Says Former Prosecutor Adopted Racist Approach in Jury Selection

Queens DA Melinda Katz (Photo: Instagram @queensdakatz)

Oct. 22, 2021 By Christian Murray

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Tuesday that her office filed a motion to overturn a 1995 conviction of a man found guilty of robbery.

Katz filed the motion after her Conviction Integrity Unit discovered that the Assistant District Attorney at the time tainted the jury pool by improperly excluding certain minorities and women from jury service in violation of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Honorable Michelle Johnson, in response to the motion, vacated the conviction and dismissed the indictment of Lawrence Scott who was found guilty at trial for robbing a cab driver.

The CIU discovered the discriminatory practice after it was made aware in 2020 that Christopher McGrath, a former Assistant District Attorney, had adopted the discriminatory approach with other cases.

Katz’ office dismissed two 1996 convictions after discovering McGrath had expressly provided discriminatory guidance in the selection of the jury.  One of the convictions was for a double murder and another for the shooting of a police office. Katz said at the time the defendants would be retried.

The CIU then reviewed all jury trials conducted by McGrath—who resigned in 1997—to see whether he improperly excluded certain minorities and women from jury service in other cases.

“Late last year, we discovered two 1996 convictions had been tainted by evidence of discrimination in jury selection. At that, time, we made a commitment to review other cases and take appropriate action,” Katz said in a statement Tuesday. “Today’s motion to vacate this defendant’s conviction reaffirms my administration’s determination to reject any form of discrimination.”

Scott was convicted for robbing a cab driver in which he held a hard object to the victim’s neck while an apprehended accomplice stole the victim’s wallet. Scott was captured because he dropped his own wallet while fleeing the scene.

He was sentenced to five to ten years in prison.

Scott has long completed his sentence but is presently incarcerated on a different robbery, and counsel has been appointed to assess the impact of the reversal of this prior conviction on his current sentence.

The CIU has now vacated 10 convictions since it was formed by Katz after she took office in 2020.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.