You are reading

2 Men Face Up to 15 Years in Prison After Allegedly Attacking Corrections Officers at Queens Detention Center: DA

iStock

Feb. 21, 2019 Staff Report

Two men have been charged with assault after allegedly attacking three corrections officers last month at the Queens Detention Center in Kew Gardens in a case that could land each of the defendants in prison for up to 15 years.

The two Queens men—Brandon Bledman, 23, and Nicholas Morris, 22—were indicted yesterday after an alleged Jan. 25 incident inside the detention complex where they attacked the corrections officers while waiting to be transported back to Rikers Island for a scheduled court appearance in a separate case, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Bledman and Morris, who were being held in lieu of bail, exited a holding space at the Kew Gardens site without authorization, prompting corrections officers to instruct them to re-enter the space. The two, however, allegedly refused and attacked the officers.

All three officers received extended medical treatment, the Queens DA said.

Richard Brown, Queens District Attorney, said the officers were “simply doing their job” when they were allegedly attacked.

“This kind of conduct is not acceptable and the defendants will be held accountable for their alleged actions,” he said.

Bledman and Morris are due back in court in April.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Southeast Queens man indicted for stealing more than $1.1M in pandemic loan fraud scheme: Feds

A Springfield Gardens man was arrested by federal agents on Thursday morning for allegedly stealing more than $1.1 million in a COVID-19 loan fraud scheme.

Terry Dor, 36, of 145th Road, was arraigned hours later in Brooklyn federal court on an eight-count indictment charging him with wire fraud, theft of public funds and money laundering in connection with a scheme to steal funds from the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program that provided emergency funding to distressed businesses during the pandemic.