You are reading

Alleged serial rapist from East Elmhurst facing life in prison for ‘brutality inflicted’ on three young women last year: DA

Mar. 10, 2023 By Bill Parry

An East Elmhurst man was indicted for kidnapping, raping, and assaulting three young women during a reign of terror across Queens last year.

Andres Portilla, 28, of 85th Street, was arraigned Friday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Ushir Pandit-Durant on a 56-count indictment charging him with kidnapping in the first and second degree; predatory sexual assault; assault in the first and second degree; criminal sexual act in the first, second and third degree; rape in the first, second and third degree; sexual abuse in the first degree; criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree; and endangering the welfare of a child, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

According to the charges, in September 2022, Portilla invited one of his victims, a minor, to an apartment in Queens, where he held the 15-year-old runaway from Long Island captive and perpetrated both sexual and physical assaults upon her, resulting in permanent injuries. After vacating the apartment, Portilla held the girl captive in his car and continued committing sexual and physical assaults against her, often using a dangerous instrument.

While restraining the first victim inside his car on Dec. 16, Portilla lured a second victim, also a minor, into his vehicle on 64th Road and the service road of the Grand Central Parkway in Forest Hills, police said. Portilla locked the doors and allegedly said, “You’re not getting out of this car,” before he proceeded to rape her repeatedly in the back seat, according to the criminal complaint, while threatening the use of a dangerous instrument.

Portilla lured a third victim into his car on New Year’s Day in Long Island City under the guise of allowing her to use a phone charger. Portilla held her captive for days while sexually and physically assaulting her before threatening and releasing her. The victim reported to the police and underwent treatment at a local hospital.

After an intensive investigation, SVU detectives were able to identify both the defendant and the car he was driving. On the morning of Friday, Jan. 6, a manhunt and a vehicle chase ensued that culminated with his arrest near Gorman Playground, one block from his home on 85th Street.

“The brutality inflicted upon these vulnerable young women is unspeakable,” Katz said. “This indictment is the first step toward providing some measure of justice to the victims and their families.”

Justice Pandit-Durant ordered Portilla to return to court on April 11. If convicted, he faces
consecutive 25-years-to-life in prison sentences.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Protecting Forest Hills Stadium

Jun. 14, 2024 By Thomas Grech

After more than a decade since its rebirth, it is unfathomable to consider Forest Hills without our venerable 101-year-old Forest Hills Stadium. The iconic venue is an asset to our community in so many ways – from creating jobs, to supporting local organizations, to providing invaluable links to our community’s rich history. Amazingly, a small band of unrealists who fail to understand that communities are constructed on the mutual grace and respect of our neighbors, want to shut down Forest Hills Stadium for good.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.