You are reading

Two Anti-Semitic Incidents Reported in Kew Gardens Hills in Less Than One Week

Yeshiva Kesser Torah, 72-11 Vleigh Pl. (Google Maps)

May 27, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Two anti-Semitic incidents have have been reported to police in the Kew Gardens Hills area in less than a week, according to a local elected official.

The incidents have taken place in a neighborhood that has a large Jewish community and come at a time when anti-Semitic attacks are increasing across the city, Assembly Member Daniel Rosenthal said.

The first attack took place on Thursday, May 20 outside Yeshiva Kesser Torah, located at 72-11 Vleigh Pl.

Worshipers were leaving a prayer service at the synagogue when an individual came by and yelled anti-Semitic slurs at them and threatened them with a taser, Rosenthal said.

The second incident took place on Tuesday when a group of teenage girls had left a Jewish school they attend on Main Street for their lunch break. They were crossing the street when a driver sped directly toward them, causing them to hurry back onto the sidewalk. As the driver passed them, he yelled “Free Palestine,” Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal tweeted about the second incident on Tuesday and said that his office is in touch with the NYPD about it.

Many have attributed the spike in anti-Semitism across the city to the recent violence in Israel between the Israeli government and Hamas, the militant group in Gaza.

Rosenthal said opponents of Israel sometimes take their criticism of the country directly on Jewish communities. He said the tensions have been made worse by leaders on social media.

“When ever there is a rise in violence in Israel, opponents of Israel tend to take it out on the Jewish communities through out of the world,” Rosenthal said.

“I believe that it has been further inflamed by leaders who have irresponsibly used social media to provoke tensions in order to get more retweets despite that in their roles, they should be leaders and try to calm tensions.”

He said leaders must condemn the violence against Jewish communities.

“Those in positions that have a pulpit need to say that it’s unacceptable, condemn it and that we’re welcome here and do what they can to just lower the tensions overall.”

Rosenthal added that the rise of anti-Semitic attacks is similar to the uptick seen in hate crimes against the Asian American community — where language has direct consequences.

“Last year we had a president who was using inflammatory language towards the Asian community and because of that we saw an increase in hate crimes towards the Asian community,” he said.

“I think that it just shows that when people have a pulpit and they use it in dangerous and reckless ways, it leads to violence for those who don’t deserve it.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Bill

Elizabeth Crowley has pledged to form an anti-Semitic task force if elected borough president. Jewish people of Queens must vote for her. No one else has pledged to do the same. Our safety matters.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.