You are reading

Two Men Indicted on Felony Charges for Planting Fake Bomb at Queens Place Mall

Police outside the Queens Place Mall Monday (Citizen)

Feb. 10, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Two men have been indicted by a Queens County grand jury for making a terroristic threat and other felony charges after they allegedly planted a fake bomb on a car at the Queens Place Mall last month.

Louis Shenker, 22, of Massachusetts, and Taylor Lyne, 27, of California, allegedly created the bogus device and attached it to a Tesla inside the mall parking garage on Jan. 4, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said.

The pair were seen in the parking garage at around 4:50 a.m. on the day of the incident standing next to the Tesla, Katz said. The vehicle had its front hood, trunk and doors open at the time, according to the charges.

About two hours later, a mall employee spotted the car covered in blankets and cardboard boxes, with wires and other mechanisms protruding from it to make it look like a bomb set to explode, Katz said.

A “Black Lives Matter” sign — believed to be at an attempt to frame BLM activists for the hoax — was also attached to the car, according to the charges. An abandoned dog was also in the vehicle.

The hoax explosive device found on a vehicle at the Queens Place Mall in Elmhurst (Photo: NYPD)

The mall was evacuated, businesses were forced to close and both pedestrians and motorists were blocked from entering the busy Queens Boulevard corridor, while the NYPD investigated.

Officers discovered that the device was not an explosive, but instead a fake device.

Nonetheless, Katz said the hoax scared employees and shoppers at the Queens Place Mall.

“There is nothing amusing about a bomb hoax, and the defendants now face very serious charges,” she said in a statement. “Planting a fake explosive in a shopping center creates chaos and fear.”

Shenker turned himself into police hours after the hoax, while his co-defendant Lyne was arrested on Feb. 1.

Shenker has a history of promoting far-right conspiracy theories and was reportedly expelled from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, for a controversy stemming from his alt-right views and actions.

He was arraigned Wednesday at Queens Supreme Court on an indictment charging him with placing a false bomb or hazardous substance in an enclosed shopping mall, making a terroristic threat and abandonment of an animal.

Lyne was arraigned Feb. 1 on the same charges.

The two men are scheduled to return to court on March 3. If convicted, they face seven years in prison, Katz said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.