You are reading

Troublesome Kew Gardens Hotel Served With More Than a Dozen Summonses

Umbrella Hotel (Google Maps)

Nov. 25, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A troublesome hotel in Kew Gardens, which has been a hotbed for crime and illegal activity since the summer, was served with more than a dozen summonses from city agencies last week.

The Umbrella Hotel was hit with 15 summonses – including two criminal summonses — following a multi-agency inspection by the NYPD, FDNY, DOB, DEP and Sheriff’s Office, local lawmakers announced Wednesday.

The hotel, located at 124-18 Queens Blvd., was issued three civil violations from the NYPD, nine violations from the FDNY and three by the DOB in total for a variety of issues such as lack of egress and a faulty fire alarm system.

The operators of the hotel were slapped with multiple fines and court appearance tickets as a result of the violations. They could face further sanctions, local Assembly Member Daniel Rosenthal said.

The Umbrella Hotel was the scene of two shootings over the summer — one of which left the front door bullet-ridden — as well as a sex trafficking incident involving a minor.

Bullet holes in the door of the Umbrella Hotel (Courtesy of Assembly Member Daniel Rosenthal’s Office)

Elected officials, including Rosenthal, have been calling on City Hall to address the violence and criminal activity at the hotel for months.

This past weekend, the Mayor’s Office approved a Multi-Agency Response to Community Hotspots (MARCH) Operation in response to their calls, the assembly member said.

“For months, we have been asking City Hall to take action and assist the 102nd Precinct and our community in shutting down this hotel,” Rosenthal said in a statement. “The MARCH operation was a good first step in bringing these concerns to the forefront of enforcement, but we need continued cooperation from the City to ensure that violent crimes and public health violations come to an end at this location. We cannot accept anything less.”

Lawmakers praised the 102nd Precinct for its response. They remain hopeful that the hotel will be shut down and viewed the MARCH operation as an important first step toward that end.

“I want to offer, on behalf of myself and the Kew Gardens community, a sincere thank you to Captain Ficadaro of the 102nd Precinct for his resolute determination to bring the indefensible and outrageous situation at the Umbrella Hotel under control,” Council Member Karen Koslowitz said. “Hopefully, this mayoral multi-agency response under the Captain’s leadership will provide the impetus for shutting down the Umbrella Hotel.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Benny Benitez

Just shut this abomination down already. It has done more harm than good and should never have been placed here to begin with.

10
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.