You are reading

No End in Sight for Shutdown Despite COVID-19 Curve Flattening

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo (Image: Mike Groll/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo via Flickr)

April 11, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Governor Andrew Cuomo has warned New Yorkers to stay the course and to remain cautious as efforts to flatten the spread of COVID-19 appear to be paying off.

The number of hospitalizations and intubations – those who are connected to ventilators – continues to drop, the governor said at a press briefing Saturday.

There were 85 new coronavirus patients admitted into hospital across the state Friday compared to 1,427 admitted on April 2. As of Saturday morning, there were 18,654 coronavirus patients in hospital across New York state.

However, the death rate remains high with 783 fatalities recorded over the past 24 hours – the third-highest one-day number so far – and the total number of New Yorkers dead now stands at 8,627.

“It’s stabilizing. But it’s stabilizing at a horrific rate,” Cuomo said.

“These numbers depict horrendous suffering and human pain,” the governor said.

Total hospitalizations. Graph from Cuomo’s press briefing Saturday. (Image: YouTube)

The flattening of the curve has started the discussion about when the state should reopen. Most are eager for it to reopen as the unemployment rate has skyrocketed. Just over 345,000 New Yorkers filed new claims last week alone.

The governor said that the decision will be taken from both an economic and public health standpoint and insisted that he will not divorce the two in making the call.

“You can’t ask the people of this state or this country to choose between lives lost and dollars gained,” he said.

Cuomo warned that a rushed decision could lead to a resurgence in the virus and urged people to “stay the course” and to continue following social distancing guidelines. The governor also stressed that it is unknown whether a second wave of the virus could hit or if the virus could re-infect people.

The state is putting together a team of scientific experts to evaluate both domestic and international data before coming to a decision, he said.

Cuomo also called for more diagnostic and antibody testing to be carried out.

“This is a time when literally our actions will determine life and death,” he said.

The governor also pushed back on Mayor de Blasio’s decision to keep schools shut until September, saying that decision could not be made without coordinating with the whole metropolitan region.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.