You are reading

De Blasio Calls for Rent Freeze for 2.3 Million New Yorkers

Mayor Bill de Blasio at the press conference Sunday

March 30, 2020, By Michael Dorgan

Mayor Bill de Blasio has called for a rent freeze for over two million New Yorkers to help them get through the coronavirus pandemic.

The freeze would apply to the 2.3 million people living in the city’s one million rent-stabilized units.

Many residents have suffered economic hardship under the coronavirus as local businesses were forced to shut in an attempt to stop the virus from spreading.

De Blasio said the city will work with the state to suspend the Rent Guidelines Board process for the remainder of the year meaning tenants will not see any increase in their rent.

“We are in the midst of a crisis only comparable to the Great Depression,” de Blasio said Friday.

“The people of our city are struggling and a rent freeze is the lifeline so many will need this year to stay above water,” he said.

Governor Cuomo has already ordered a 90-day moratorium on commercial and residential evictions but some local leaders believe more needs to be done to protect residents during the crisis.

Earlier this week, State Senator Mike Gianaris unveiled legislation that would suspend rent for 90 days for tenants who have lost their jobs or had to close their business due to the virus.

On Saturday, U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders endorsed Gianaris’ plan.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.