You are reading

Queens College Increases Student Enrollment and Adds New Programs

(Queens College)

Oct. 2, 2019 By Allie Griffin

Queens College kicked off the academic year with more students and more programs.

The freshman class grew by 17 percent over last year, with 2,200 first-time students. The college also admitted 2,000 incoming transfer students for a total student body of more than 20,000.

“Queens College has always set a high standard for public higher education,” Interim President William A. Tramontano said. “That is why we continue to attract students and grow as an institution. We are proud of our strong liberal arts and sciences curriculum, and our newest programs build on it.”

New degree options introduced this year include a minor in LGBTQ studies, a minor in urban planning, and a BFA in Photography and Imaging at the undergraduate level. At the graduate level, an actuarial studies concentration was added to the Risk Management MS degree and Advanced Certificates were added in Risk Management and Leadership and Management within Data Analytics.

In addition, several existing degrees and certificates can now be earned online. Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences will offer its MSEd in Family and Consumer Sciences fully online. Similarly, Special Education now offers the MSEd in Educational Leadership online. Special Education also now offers its Post-Master’s Advanced Certificate programs both online and on campus at the Birth to 2, grades 1 to 6 and grades 7 to 12 levels.

For the 28th consecutive year, Queens College was listed in the Princeton Review’s “Best Colleges” guide, where it has been featured consistently since the guide’s 1992 debut. Other 2020 designations include a “Best College for Your Money” ranking by Money, “America’s Top Colleges” by Forbes, and a “Best College” by U.S. News & World Report.

In addition to a new freshman class, the college welcomed 27 new full-time faculty members to 19 departments across all divisions of the college.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
jb

When Amazon was planning its move to LIC, they were in talks to strengthen Queens colleges.
Of course, that all vaporized after AOC scared them off.

2
1
Reply
Prof

How is it possible that our QC enrollments continue to increase as the proportion of under-paid adjunct labor increases and yet austerity is still held to everyone’s throats as the rule of the day? Queens College faculty have been told numerous times this semester that the college is in a SEVERE budget crisis. Departments have been instructed to slash course sections for spring 2020. Extreme cuts to research funding already leave faculty supporting their own research and conference travel as well as the chalk required to teach in the many crumbling and poorly ventilated classrooms spread across campus. Elected officials must do more to support CUNY, which they are eager to tout as the pride of the city– and yet toss around like a political football whenever it’s time to actually FUND it.

5
1
Reply
geo

I hear Cuomo has decimated the budget of CUNY & that they can no longer make tenure hires. Department programs are cut to the bone. The schools are running on adjuncts.
All so that Cuomo can brag about free tuition.

7
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.