You are reading

Local Leaders Pan Trump’s ‘Public Charge’ Rule

Donald Trump Photo: WhiteHouse.Gov

Aug. 13, 2019 By Shane O’Brien

Several elected officials have condemned the Trump Administration’s new “Public Charge Rule” which will reject green card applications for legal immigrants who rely on public assistance.

Congresswoman Grace Meng, Council Member Daniel Dromm and New York State Attorney General Letitia James have all publicly criticized the ruling, which makes it harder for legal immigrants who use public benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid to become permanent legal residents.

Acting head of US Citizenship and Immigration Services Ken Cuccinelli announced the new rule on Monday, with it set to go into effect on October 15, 2019, although anticipated litigation over the rule may change this timeline.

Local leaders argue that the rule is a calculated attack by President Donald Trump to get rid of immigrants from poor backgrounds.

“President Trump’s public charge rule is another ruthless and callous attack on immigrant communities,” Meng said. “It will have dire consequences for hundreds of thousands of legal immigrants, mostly children and families who require critical safety net programs for health care, food and other basic and daily necessities.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James offered further scrutiny to the Public Charge Rule and said that it was egregious measure that will see the U.S turn its back on immigrants fighting to make a better life for themselves. She also said that she intends to file suit against the Trump Administration over the ruling.

Meanwhile, Daniel Dromm, who represents one of the most immigrant rich districts in New York, said that he will fight the policy.

“The United States has a long history of welcoming the poor,” Dromm, who represents Jackson Heights, said. “Inscribed on our very own Statue of Liberty are the indelible words ‘Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.’ Our nation stands to lose a lot by this rule. We must never turn our backs on the economically distressed.”

However, when Cuccinelli was asked about those revered words on the Statue of Liberty on Monday he put forward a new version of the lines from Emma Lazarus’ famous sonnet.

“Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge,” Cuccinelli said at the press conference.

Cuccinelli also said that the new rule would allow the government to reduce the number of immigrants likely to become a drain on taxpayers.

The Public Charge Rule will not apply to current green card holders or asylum seekers.

Trump stated earlier this year that he has long favored a merit-based immigration system which prioritizes young and highly educated immigrants who he says contribute more to society.

  • Immigrants who are concerned about how the public charge rule might affect them or their loved ones can call ActionNYC at 311 or 1-800-354-0365 and say ‘public charge’ to access City-funded, trusted legal advice. 
email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.