You are reading

Grodenchik Admits to Sexually Harassing Council Staffer

Council Member Barry Grodenchik. (NYC City Council)

May 15, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

In an unexpected reversal, City Council Member Barry Grodenchik admitted to sexually harassing a City Council staffer for more than a year after initially denying the allegations and vowing to fight against them.

Grodenchik, who copped to the accusations during a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday, also resigned from his chairmanship of the City Council Parks Committee.

“I understand that my actions caused the Council staff member to suffer embarrassment, stress and discomfort and emotional distress and that her work environment was adversely and negatively affected,” Grodenchik said during the hearing. “I am deeply sorry for my conduct and for any harm suffered by the Council staff member as a result of my conduct.”

The Queens representative was accused in early April of having made several unwanted advances and having inappropriate conversations with a female staffer. The staffer said Grodenchik repeatedly singled her out for hugs and kisses and made comments about her weight.

Grodenchik initially defended himself in a statement, stating that he did not believe he had been inappropriate. He also cited only one instance where he had hugged the staffer in question.

“For me, as is true for many of my colleagues, a hug is a common greeting for people I have known for a long time, but as others do not feel that way, I will certainly be more sensitive to that in the future,” Grodenchik wrote in the statement.

At the time, Grodenchik called Speaker Corey Johnson’s plans to strip him of his position as chair of the Parks Committee an “overreaction.”

“I will not allow the good name my parents gave to me to be dragged through the mud for this single action which, as the Speaker well knows, was never intended to make anyone uncomfortable,” the statement read.

Late last month, former federal prosecutor Carrie H. Cohen, who previously led the corruption case against former Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, was hired to prosecute Grodenchik for the alleged sexual harassment. Cohen reportedly gathered a wealth of evidence over the past two weeks.

After admitting to the harassment, Grodenchik agreed to undergo sexual harassment training at his own expense.

Grodenchik is now the third Council Member to face disciplinary action this year for controversial behaviour. Council Member Ruben Diaz Sr. of the Bronx, who made homophobic comments, and Council Member Kalman Yeger of Brooklyn, who made anti-Palestine remarks, have also faced punishment.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.