You are reading

Flushing, Forest Hills Organizations Providing Free Food to Federal Employees During Government Shutdown

Volunteers and members of Masbia Queens handing out fliers of their services to federal workers at LaGuardia Airport (via Alexander Rapaport/Masbia Queens)

Jan. 18, 2019 By Meghan Sackman

Two Flushing and Forest Hills-based organizations have been working to ensure that no federal employee goes hungry in the midst of the fourth week of the partial government shutdown.

The Flushing Jewish Community Council (FJCC) and Masbia of Queens are currently providing free boxes of food, hot meals or both to federal government employees and their families, many of whom have been mandated to go back to work without pay.

The FJCC will hold its next food distribution event next week on Jan. 22, where government employees that show up with work IDs to Temple Beth Sholom at 171-39 Northern Blvd. can receive a box of groceries with canned fruits and vegetables, pasta, cereal, and more.

via FJCC

The organization will also inform federal government workers of other free programs it provides, including English and ESL classes and family therapy.

Over in Forest Hills, Masbia of Queens, the nonprofit soup kitchen and food pantry, has been spreading the word of their available services to federal employees around the city.

The soup kitchen at 64th Road has already been providing free dinners to those in need five nights on week, and will now donate boxes of groceries to federal employees and contractors.

A grocery and produce package prepared for a federal employee by Masbia Queens (via Alexander Rapaport/Masbia Queens)

Members and volunteers of the nonprofit were out handing fliers earlier this week to federal employees at LaGuardia and JFK airports about the program.

“This is the awareness phase,” said Alexander Rapaport, executive director of Masbia Queens. “It takes time for people who usually have a steady paycheck to make peace with the situation to go and get charity handouts, so we wanted to let people know that there’s help out there.”

The Queens facility at 105-47 64th Rd., part of a network of emergency food programs that serves over 2 million meals a year, is open Sunday through Thursday for hot sit-in meals from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., where grocery packages are also available for pick-up.

The size of the box could change depending on the size of the family, but boxes typically contain enough food for three meals a day for three days for all members of the family, according to Rappaport. Packages may be picked by once a week by a given family.

Sit down meals at the site are available to all nightly, with meals consisting of bread, a beverage, a main dish, two sides, and dessert.

Grocery packages contain raw foods families can prepare such as chicken, salmon, rice, beans, pasta, condiments, and vary based on the recipients’ preferences as well as the pantry’s stock.

“We wanted people to know that there’s help if they ever find themselves with an empty refrigerator,” Rappaport said.

The Masbia network has expanded its hours in some of its locations to accommodate federal workers. A list can be found in the flier below.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.