You are reading

Van Bramer Forms Campaign Committee, Run for Queens Borough President Almost Inevitable

Feb. 12, 2018 By Christian Murray

Council member Jimmy Van Bramer has all but announced that he is running for Queens Borough President.

Van Bramer formed the “Van Bramer 2021” committee last week and said that he is limiting contributions to $3,850. That figure is the maximum allowed for the borough president race and well short of the $4,950 permitted for a citywide office such as mayor or public advocate.

“I’m not declaring for any particular office at this time but I am gearing up and beginning to plan for the future,” Van Bramer said in an interview. “Obviously serving as Queens Borough President would be a great honor.”

Van Bramer is in his final term as a council member for the 26th District and will be forced to vacate his office at the end of 2021. He said he is not interested in pursuing a position in Albany but one where he can focus on Queens.

“I have deep roots in Queens,” Van Bramer said.  “I was born and raised in Queens. I went to public schools in Astoria and then to St. John’s for college,” he said.

Van Bramer also noted that he worked for the Queens Library for 11 years and was the president of the Queens Council on the Arts from 2004-2006.

“I am also part of the changing face of Queens and I believe that the borough has become more progressive—particularly the Democrats,” he said.

He added that he led the largest anti-Trump march in Queens, when 5,000 residents marched over the Queensboro Bridge to Trump Tower in November 2016, and is at the center of the resistance against Trump in Queens.  He has incorporated the hashtag #queensvalues as part of the movement.

He said that as a council member he has embraced the LGBT community, immigrant community and arts, as well as focusing on quality of life issues such as improving parks.

He said the formation of the committee is not too early and pointed to Melinda Katz and how she recently formed Katz 2021. “It’s never too early in politics to start fundraising and to start laying the foundations for a race.”

Van Bramer said that he will be rolling over $200,000 from his council campaign committee shortly into Van Bramer 2021 and will begin fundraising.

Van Bramer raised more than $550,000 for the city council race in 2017, one of the higher amounts among council members. He worked with the high profile consultants of Nashban Mansur and BerlinRosen to raise these funds and map out his run. He anticipates using their services for 2021.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.