You are reading

Alleged Forest Hills ‘Duck Sauce Killer’ Found Dead From Suicide

Zhiwen Yan and his wife Eva Zhao (GoFundMe) and a screenshot of Yan on his bike

Aug. 5, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The man accused of the shooting death of a delivery worker in Forest Hills in late April was found dead in his home Friday after apparently taking his own life.

Glenn Hirsch, 51, was found dead by police inside his Jamaica apartment on 141st Street after failing to show up for a Friday morning court appearance, according to published reports.

Hirsch, who was out on bail, is believed to have shot himself and left behind a suicide note where he declared he was not responsible for gunning down 45-year-old Zhiwen Yan on April 30, according to the New York Post.

Yan was shot in the chest while on his scooter making deliveries for the Great Wall Chinese restaurantq located at 104-37 Queens Blvd.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz confirmed the news that Hirsch was dead Friday and said she had wanted him to appear in court for the killing of Yan.

“The loss of a human life is always tragic,” Katz said. “Obviously, we would have preferred to try Mr. Glenn Hirsch for the calculated murder of Mr. Zhiwen Yan in a court of law, but this is no longer an option.”

“We once again express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Zhiwen Yan, who continue to grieve his tragic and senseless loss.”

Yan, a married father of three, had worked at the restaurant for more than a decade. He had immigrated to the U.S. from China about 20 years ago.

Cops said previously that Hirsch had a grudge against the restaurant, having had multiple arguments with workers at the eatery. He was particularly upset that he had been shorted duck sauce while making an order late last year. Police also found a huge stash of condiments inside his fridge — many of which were filled with duck sauce.

The restaurant’s owner said Hirsch had been harassing them prior to the shooting and that he had vandalized his car and showed up one time with a gun.

Hirsch was arrested in early June and was out on bail awaiting trial on murder, stalking and other charges.

His former attorney Michael Horn had argued that his client was innocent and that the police had nabbed the wrong person. Hirsch had since changed attorney.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Captain Obvious

Good. No additional Taxpayer dollars will be squandered on this waste of a human life.

Reply
Sara Ross

I had known Yan for many years and I miss him. Glad his killer is dead but he took the coward’s way out. His wife should be in jail for all of the weapons that she had in her apartment. One man will always be missed. The other one, will never be.

4
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.