You are reading

Irishman Causes Mayhem on Flight Into JFK, Moons Flight Crew and Throws Empty Can at Passenger: Feds

Shane McInerney, an Irish soccer coach (L) was arrested for causing mayhem on a Delta flight into J.F.K Airport on Jan. 7. Also pictured is a Delta Airlines plane landing at J.F.K. Airport in 2017 (Photos: Twitter via @McinerneyShane and Quintin Soloviev via Wikipedia)

Jan. 27, 2022 Staff Report

An unruly Irishman who caused havoc on a flight into J.F.K. Airport — including mooning flight attendants and throwing a beverage can at another passenger — has been hit with a felony charge in Brooklyn federal court.

Shane McInerney, 29, was busted for interfering with a flight crew’s duties as well as intentionally assaulting and intimidating a member of a Delta flight crew on Jan. 7 onboard a flight from Dublin, according to recently unsealed federal court documents.

McInerney, a soccer coach from Galway, faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

According to the charges, McInerney refused “dozens of requests” from the flight crew to wear a mask on the plane and allegedly created numerous other disturbances including throwing an empty beverage can which hit a passenger in the head and kicking another passenger’s chair.

At one point during the eight-hour flight, McInerney, who had an economy class seat, stormed into the first class cabin to complain about the food he had been served. When a flight attendant escorted him back to his seat, he pulled down his pants and underwear to expose his buttocks to the flight attendant and other passengers.

In another incident, the flight captain tried to restore order in the cabin only for McInerney to allegedly whip off his own cap and place it on the flight captain’s head. He then raised one of his fists to the captain and said: “Don’t touch me,” according to the court documents.

McInerney also refused to remain seated on the final approach to J.F.K.’s runway when all passengers and flight crew were buckled into their seats. He stood up, entered the aisle and refused to sit back down, prosecutors said.

At least one passenger considered McInerney’s menacing behavior to be “scary,” while the flight crew considered diverting the plane to another airport to remove him from the Delta plane, prosecutors said.

McInerney was admitted to Jamaica Hospital for medical and psychological evaluation after the flight landed in J.F.K. He had been en route to Florida to take up a new coaching job teaching soccer at an academy in Daytona, according to prosecutors.

He was arraigned on Jan. 14 in Brooklyn federal court and released on $20,000 bail. He was also ordered by the judge to seek mental health care, according to reports.

McInerney played as a kicker for Peru State College’s American football team last year, scoring nine out of nine field goals, according to published reports.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Joseph Byron

“Chinaman Causes Mayhem on Flight Into JFK, Moons Flight Crew and Throws Empty Can at Passenger: Feds” – If that sounds offensive to you but not “Irishman” then you part of the problem.

5
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Rego Park sex offender pleads guilty to charges of sexually exploiting young girls on Long Island: Feds

A convicted sex offender from Rego Park pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child and admitted to soliciting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from four young girls during a plea hearing in the federal courthouse in Central Islip on Friday. Anthony Pangallo, 41, faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years’ imprisonment and up to 50 years in prison.

According to court filings and statements during the plea proceeding, Pangallo was initially arrested on May 20, 2021, at his Rego Park residence, on state charges filed in Westport, Connecticut. Those charges, which remain pending, involved a 15-year-old victim whom Pangallo met online and manipulated into sending him sexually explicit images of herself.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.